Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Macario is 3 Months Old!

Dear Macario,

Today you are 3 months old and I can hardly believe it.  The time has really flown by and in all our efforts to slow things down, you continue to grow and change everyday!

I found out I was expecting you on August 2, 2010–just 10 days before Daddy’s birthday!  Just a few months prior to that day Daddy was already planning and telling me what he wanted for his birthday.  I remember I responded to him by saying, “I want a baby for your birthday,” so when we found out I was pregnant we both laughed as we thought back to that day.

Being pregnant with you was both the happiest time of my life and the most healthful time.  I loved being pregnant and took everything in stride.  My doctor even called me a “pro,” but I would always say, “this pregnancy is going so well and I’ve been so lucky that I’m afraid of what delivery will be like.  I’m sure I have to pay my dues eventually.”



Just as I predicted labor was quite a challenge.  I wound up needing to have a c-section because I had developed an infection during labor.  Within a couple hours of being born you were taken to the NICU to monitor your reaction to my infection.  Fortunately, you checked out and were released to me and Daddy the very next day.

While we were in the hospital we had lost of visitors, but there was a moment when it was just the three of us.  You were in your little bed and Daddy and I sat in my hospital bed staring at you quietly.  Our hearts were so full of love for you and even though we didn’t speak I know we were both thanking God for all of our blessings.



When we left the hospital you were two days old, but we didn’t actually go home until Easter Sunday (when you were 5 days old).  Since I had the c-section, Daddy was worried about leaving me at home with you while he was coaching.  To remedy that, we stayed with my parents those first few days just until we were sure I could handle you on my own while I was still recovering.


In the first few weeks after your birth you didn’t do much besides sleep, eat and dirty your diaper, but you gave us your first giggle-y smile when you were 3 weeks and 6 days old!  At 5 weeks you started to reject your pacifier in preference of your hand.  You still love sucking on your hand and make the funniest sounds when you do!


There have been times when you’ve been cranky and seemingly unconsolable, but we’ve always managed to be able to figure out what is was that was bothering you.  Whether it be you an issue with the formula or the type of nipple we use on your bottle, whatever it is we are careful to figure out what is upsetting you and help make things better.


At this point, I’d say we’re all settled in to our new life.  Daddy and I make sure we give you lots of attention and also time alone when you need it.  Its very important to us to preserve your bedtime routine because you seem to thrive on the consistency.  You’ve been sleeping through the night (from 9 pm to about 5:30 am) since you were about 6 weeks old thanks to that routine! 


Your newest achievement is getting things into your own mouth.  You took your first shot at feeding yourself the bottle when you were 12 weeks and 4 days old and since then you’ve been bringing everything we hand you to your mouth!



Some of your current dislikes are: car rides, loud noises, your pacifier and slow flow nipples.  Some of your current likes are: talking with Daddy, playing in the mirror, your hand, burp cloths (for sucking on) and being outdoors.

We’re so happy to have you in our lives son, and look forward to sharing in all your achievements to come!

Happy 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment