Monday, December 17, 2012

Pregnancy No. 2: 24 Week Recap

12/10 (24 Weeks) – Today has been a good day. I accomplished a lot of what I needed to, though not everything, but I’m resigned to not stressing over what isn’t done. I have been totally over achieving and feeling bad when I don’t accomplish EVERYTHING. Today I am getting into bed early to watch a movie with Aaron and I feel great. Baby is moving a lot and the movements are so strong that you can definitely see them besides feeling them from outside. I am glad I have made time this evening to sit and concentrate on him because most of the time I’m too busy to stop and zone in on him and how hes behaving.


12/11 (24w1d) – I am feeling really good lately. I seem to be prioritizing things better so that I get the most important tasks done and still have time to rest in bed with Aaron at the end of the night. This makes me really happy because not only do I get to spend that time with Aaron, but I we also get to talk and dream about this baby like we did with Macario. In the first half of this pregnancy we did not spend as much time talking about him as we did with Macario. Not because we don’t love him already, but because life just seemed so busy. I’m really happy that we are stopping to focus on him more often now and also I’m happy to get to bed at a decent hour! That is really helping me to feel more rested during the day!

12/12 (24w2d) – Dodged a bullet today! It may sound really stupid that I’m a little freaked out about the end of the world theories, but as a parent, I hesitate to take things lightly anymore. I had the day off today and I really appreciated having extra time to just focus on Macario. I’m still struggling a little with the idea of him having to share me and Aaron. I know that more than taking something away from him (our undivided attention) we are giving him something wonderful (a sibling), but I still feel bad when I think of him not being my only baby anymore. I think I will have a harder time adjusting than him. Also, it occurred to me that we still haven’t pulled the box of Macario’s old clothes from storage and we need to do that soon. I think my sister and mom want to start planning my shower and I need to know what I’m missing for a newborn in order to re-build a registry. I’m looking forward to pulling that old stuff just to admire it again!

12/13 (24w3d) – Had a prenatal check up today. I’m still down 5 lbs. The scale said I had put a pound back on, but I wore my wedge shoes which I never wear to my appointments and when I requested to be re-weighed without the shoes the number came down a FULL POUND. That made me pretty happy. I looked back at my journal from when I was pregnant with Macario and at 24 weeks I was two pounds heavier than I am now. I was shocked to realize that because I truly feel much heavier this time than I did then.

Besides me, the baby is fine! He was being elusive once again and the doctor had to use the ultrasound machine to get his heartbeat. He does not like the Doppler at all. At one point while she was using it, he kicked my belly and the Doppler shut off. We joked that he broke it, but really the battery was dying because my doctor has been taking it home to listen to her own baby’s heartbeat! I learned today that she is 28 weeks into her first pregnancy and is expecting a girl. I’m really excited for her! I think she’s going to be a really sweet mommy. She’s going out on maternity leave in January, so I will be reassigned to a new doctor. I actually don’t mind because with my hospital group, whomever is on call the day you go into labor is who will deliver you, so as with last time, I may be delivered by some doctor I’ve never even met.

We did however talk more about delivery options and my position is still the same. Aaron and I agree that the most responsible thing is to let things play out naturally. I am not going to request a scheduled c-section or induction, however I am willing to agree to a c-section if there is some medical need.

My doctor also told me that with a VBAC patients are asked to come in as soon as labor begins versus trying to labor at home. I believe that is due to the risk of uterine rupture which can be fatal to both mother and baby. I had hoped to labor at home longer to avoid getting an epidural prematurely, but will not be doing that now.

12/14 (24w4d) – No entry.

12/15 (24w5d) – Today I had my glucose test done. I brought Mac with me and I thought it was so interesting to think about when I was doing the testing with him. It took a lot more planning and timing to do it this time than it did last time. I was not required to fast before the test, but since I went relatively early in the morning I decided to skip breakfast and just do the test. That almost was not a good idea because about 5 minutes after I finished the drink I started to feel a little funny and that lasted about 10 minutes. I think I must have had a sugar rush or something. I had never felt that before. I’m half nervous about getting the results because diabetes is common in both of my parents families so I have a greater probability of developing it during pregnancy than most, but I did not have it with Macario , so that’s comforting.

12/16 (24w6d) – Got the results of my glucose test and I don’t have gestational diabetes (GD)!!! Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment