Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Two Weeks Postpartum

How Ava's doing:


Ava is doing great! She is spending little bits of time awake during the day but still spends most of her time asleep. 

She wakes twice a night for feeds, but do far that is all. 

In her first week we had to do multiple rounds of bloodwork to follow up on her bilirubin levels. Her numbers went up slightly every day for the first three days after we were released from the hospital and then finally they started to dip so we were not required to do more. 

She kept us on our toes for a while there but is doing fine now!

This week I was worried that she might have a cold. Mac caught one at a week old and I felt like she was coming down with a cold because she was very sneezy and sounded congested. Ultimately I decided she didn't have a cold, but was still having residual discharge of amniotic fluids.

Nursing is going extremely well. She did not get to breastfeed until she was a day old an I worried that would impede the process, but it had no ill effect. In fact, she has had a bottle (usually has one a day with Daddy) and takes a paci already! I'm so excited about how well things are going with regard to breast feeding because it was such a struggle with the boys. 
{nursing in the Moby Wrap}

How I'm doing:

As I said I'm extremely excited about the success we've had with regard to breast feeding. My first two experiences were discouraging, so this is a refreshing and new experience for me. 
I'm concerned, though, that I have not been using good posture because I have had a major kink in my neck for the last three days. The pain is similar to the kind of stiff neck you get from awkward sleep positions. At first I thought that was what it was, but I still had the stiff neck the following morning and now it radiates down my shoulder. I have been using a heating pad, but it only brings a small amount of relief. I've also tried to use better posture while nursing, but I have yet to find relief. In fact it's worse by the day. 

I've been really low on energy as well. I think its partly due to the neck pain and partly just due to things settling in. With two kids already at home, there is far less  opportunity to lounge as needed. 

I'm not exactly sure what my weight is, but I'm back in my regular clothes and hope to go shopping soon because I needed new jeans because I needed them before I even got pregnant so I'm looking forward to shopping for that!

That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. My comment disappeared... She is just adorable and I love see you get to put bows on a sweet baby girl. She looks a lot like your boys. I am so happy that breastfeeding is going well for you this time. Way to go on already needing new jeans. I am still struggling with baby weight.

    ReplyDelete