Saturday, August 23, 2014

Sito is 17 Months Old

First of all it's crazy that the last 6 posts have all been monthly updates and secondly that each one feels like I just did it days before. 

With three kids life really does zoom past us and if we don't make a point to slow down and enjoy it, we'll probably forget a lot of the day to day stuff we've experienced with these kiddos.


Lately, Adrian has really been stealing the spotlight. That's probably not easy to do as a middle child, but I'm the oldest so I wouldn't know. 

I feel bad sometimes, though, because I'll be busy preschooling Mac while Adrian plays independently or I'll nurse Ava while Adrian feeds himself at the table. He's been forced into independence far earlier than Mac was and part of me feels badly for him. 

However, he seems to enjoy his place in line. He takes his snuggle time when he can get it, loves playing alone when I need him to and loves having both a brother and a sister. All is well in his little world. 



As I said he's been the star of the show lately. He had a breakthrough of knowledge and he is working so hard at being able to articulate it all. 

He's signing words, using lots of spoken words regularly and repeating new words easily. 

He knows his body parts, loves practicing animal sounds and also enjoys puzzles and coloring. 


He is great at following direction and taking initiative to transition himself through our daily routine. 

When it gets close to meal times, he starts to hover around his chair. At bedtime he hangs out in brother's bed waiting for stories. 

He has been impressing us so much these past few weeks. His smarts are just becoming so apparent. 

I hadn't felt that he was ready to start helping me cook and I'm still not certain he is, but I pulled out the learning tower this month to test the waters. He ate most of the ingredients and denied my offers to help demonstrate what he was supposed to be doing, but he had fun nonetheless and it was so cute that I will probably let him help me more often. 

Something I'm not sure I've mentioned is that Adrian shakes his head no when he means to nod yes. This has to be the funniest thing ever. If people ask him a question expecting a yes, they are often confused by him when he happily shakes his head back and forth. 

The cashier at the grocery store gave him a sticker and offered to remove the backing. He happily shook his head and when I explained his little quirk she smiled and helped him out. After which he politely said "too too" (thank you.)

I often find myself in standoff situations with him. I used to accuse Aaron of passing on the "stubbornness gene" but those two get along so well and never have standoffs, so I guess I can attribute the stubbornness to myself and have realized I need to adjust the ways in which I handle him. He's very different from Mac in certain ways.

Stubborn or not, I love that little booger and I am so happy he's my son. 

Happy 17 months, Adriansito! Slow it down, will ya?!

No comments:

Post a Comment