Saturday, January 4, 2014

My New Year's Resolution...

...is to be the mother I always envisioned myself to be. 

Today I read this quote and it really struck a cord in me:

"...yelling shuts down the communication; it severs the bond; it causes people to separate -- instead of come close."

In the hustle and bustle of day to day life I have lost my patience with my children more often than I would like to admit. And shamefully, I have to say I have yelled. I don't do it often, but the few occasions on which I have still haunt me. 

Even when I don't yell, I still succumb to stress by letting out heavy sighs or being short with my beautiful and inquisitive Mac. It hurts my heart and theres just no excuse for it.

In the heat of the moment, I think to myself that I wish they wouldn't do XYZ so that I wouldn't be so frustrated, but the truth is that its everything else that zaps me leaving my tolerance meter too empty to deal with their innocent behaviors. 

Meeting this resolution is going to require lots if little adjustments, so the second part of my resolution is to continue setting monthly goals and review them often. 

I did this for more than half of the year in 2013 and I think it really helped keep me focused on my progress, so I will do I again this year and plan to really keep it aimed toward helping me be the mom I know I am inside. 

Here's to progress!!

2 comments:

  1. You ARE an amazing mom. :) Love the goal setting! I think I should do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on patience as well. I hate that I lose my temper.

    ReplyDelete