Monday, June 30, 2014

A Mac Update

Mac turned 38 months old this month. Seems silly to still do monthly updates on a preschool aged kid, but I care to keep my memories alive through this blog, so I will still do these updates as often as I can. 


Mac is my first born. He will always have that special honor. He is the child who made me a mother for the first time. 

I have learned so much from being his mother and I continue to learn.

These days Mac asks about a million and a half questions. I have to dig deep to remain patient with all the questions sometimes. Sometimes my mental stamina is low and I can't keep up with his curiosity. 

He has a constant hunger to learn. He is always asking for explanations/information and Aaron and I do our best to give him his fill. 

At the moment he is learning time concepts and beginning reading/writing. 

He knows the days of the week and asks or tells me what day it is each morning. He also asks or tells me what day it was the day prior. He knows the current month and year. 

He can spell his own name from memory and does a great job of tracing it, but I'm most proud of how he can free-hand it. The letters are often out of order and are very large (usually taking up an entire page) but the letters are basically clear. 

His favorite thing to watch is a documentary (about anything). 

We prefer that if he watch tv its something educational versus something of pure entertainment and fortunately he does not know the difference so we don't have any battles over it. 

I also love that when we watch documentaries he is being exposed to a bank of vocabulary that he wouldn't get otherwise. It's pretty funny to hear him use the words in his day to day life as well. "Daddy, I think the fox is a carnivore. Is that a good hypothesis?"

This week he has been into whales, so he watched a documentary on killer whales and Aaron picked him up a book about whales. I read it to him at bedtime tonight and he fell asleep looking at it after I left the room. 

It was too dark to get a picture, but he often does that. Aaron and I both have had to go in after he's fallen to sleep and remove books from covering his face. 

We have also decided that he is mature enough to have a daily list of chores that he can refer to and follow independently. He has been a great helper, but now we want to try having a list of chores he does upon his own initiative. He will be responsible for switching over laundry, putting away silverware, making his bed, hanging clothes and simple folding (like dish rags), and dusting and cleaning the closet doors.

He already does a lot of this stuff, but he hasn't had the responsibility of having to do the jobs on his own.


This month I also looked into a homeschooling program to stay on the ball for Kindergarten. We have been leaning heavily toward homeschooling the kids, but we had been open to other options all along. Now, though, I think we are almost totally decided and so now I need to figure out the next steps. 

I'm excited about the program I have found though, because it has a pre-K curriculum as well. 

I haven't been keeping a list of Mac funnies, but he is still a crack up so hopefully I'll take better notes so that I can share soon. 

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and you have a very smart little boy on your hands! You make me want to do more with Cooper. I don't know how you do it, but you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete