Friday, October 26, 2012

Pregnancy No. 2: Week 17 Recap

Oh, boy.  This is a long one!


10/22 (17 Weeks) – Now that we know we are having a baby boy we are getting more into planning mode. We don’t have a lot to do to get ready for baby since we already have just about everything we’ll need from when Mac was younger, but we think it would be a good idea to do some rearranging and get some new furniture. We have plans to start rearranging our room and purging out a bunch of stuff too. We have also started talking seriously about names and such, so today I’d say that things feel much more real!

I told Aaron recently that I was happy to be having another child, but I the excitement has taken longer to set in compared to my pregnancy with Macario. I had a hard explaining this before because I definitely wanted another child, but I wasn’t immediately excited when I found out I was pregnant and that was confusing to me. I didn’t want it to sound like I wasn’t as happy for this baby because was happy, but there was still a sense of disbelief and I couldn’t get past it. Now I realize that the difference was that it took so much more effort to conceive Macario than it did to conceive this surprise baby, so when I finally got pregnant with Macario I accepted it as real immediately. Because this pregnancy was unexpected, it’s taken more time to sink in and feel real, but it definitely as much a blessing as Macario’s pregnancy was.

Now that I know the baby is a boy, I can start to envision what life will be like and I’m feeling the excitement. I’m excited to start pulling out Macario’s old clothes and see them in use again! I love his clothes and am so glad I held onto them. Not because of the brands or the designs, but because they remind me of the most beautiful time in my life and I’m so excited to get to do it all over again!

10/23 (17w1d) – Still floating on air. This is how I remember feeling with I was pregnant with Macario. Before now it was all too surreal to wrap my head around. I was sort of just going through the motions, but something has clicked ever since we found out the gender. I am getting more and more excited about having another boy, but part of me is sort of grieving the lost possibility of a daughter too.

Aaron and I are pretty certain that we won’t have any more kids, so we’ll likely never have a daughter. His family is also predominately boys, so it would be silly to try for number three solely for the chance to have a girl. I suppose the possibility of more kids will always be there (we aren’t taking any permanent measures to prevent), but I for one don’t want to stretch myself too thin by having more kids. At least that’s how I feel at this moment. Don’t get me wrong I love my children, and if I felt I could handle a litter of them without sacrificing too much from a single one of them, I would have 20, but I want to always give my children the best of me and I fail at that sometimes even now with just one child. As we add more kids into the mix, I know that will get harder and harder and I don’t want to do that to myself or my children.

None of my siblings have children yet, so I still have quite a bit of opportunity to have a niece someday and if my sons choose to have a girlfriend or wife, I’ll get to have them as surrogate daughters too (if they’ll have me). And maybe someday I’ll have a granddaughter!!! I’m getting a little too far ahead of myself, I know!

10/24 (17w2d) – I haven’t talked much about symptoms so far because my biggest symptom is being overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings. However, there are still some nagging things going on that go hand in hand with pregnancy. None of it is worth complaining about, so I usually don’t, but I will make note of them for the purpose of keeping record.

The heartburn issue is still persistent. My sister picked up a couple of bags of dried papaya for me and that was a total life saver. I have to remember to eat it daily like I did with Mac as that helped to keep the heartburn at bay, but for now I’ve just been eating it as I feel heartburn sensations. It still helps to lessen the burn, but it works much better if you have a steady stream of it in your diet.

Pelvic pain is still there (mildly), but it is definitely agitated by physical exertion. I have been better about knowing my limits which includes not carrying Macario too much. That’s hard because he is now always wanting to hang out on my hip while I cook dinner so he can see and help, which I want to encourage, but have to be careful about.

My headache is finally gone. I’ve noticed it gradually getting less and less obvious since I treated myself to a little caffeine fix last week and we’ve also been getting to bed earlier and sleeping in a little later in the morning, so that might be helping too!

Today my appetite is relatively normal. I sustained myself on toast until lunch time, but then felt really hungry by lunch time. It felt like I was overly hungry, but I think I was just making up for not having eaten much earlier in the day.

Another thing is that I’m at the point that I have very little appetite in the evenings. I was like this with Macario and that feels much more normal to me than always being hungry! I will usually have a tiny portion of whatever I’m making and nothing else. Sometimes all I’ll have is a bowl of ceral or a stick of cheese with some saltines.

10/25 (17w3d) – I had my first stranger ask me when I was due today! It was at 13 weeks pregnant that someone noticed I was pregnant with Macario, but this time it’s obviously a bit later. When she asked me when I was due, I was caught so off guard that I forgot my due date for a moment. Actually, I think it took me a second to register the question in my brain and therefore took me longer to answer than if I had been expecting it. *chuckle* When I got it together, I excitedly told her I was due in April, but didn’t say the date. Afterward I wished I had mentioned it because she was really sweet and I think she would have gotten a kick out of it (everybody seems to). Anyhow, I feel good today knowing I actually look pregnant and not just fat. I asked Aaron that question and never really got an answer... I have my answer now, so I guess he’s off the hook!

10/26 (17w4d) – Nothing much to report today. I did take a belly shot (see below) and also did a side by side comparison of my belly now with it back when I was pregnant with Macario. I think that size wise I’m pretty close to the same.

10/27 (17w5d) – Did a lot of standing and chasing Mac around today. I feel good, but I wonder if I'll be sore tomorrow?

10/28 (17w6d) – Had a headache today. Probably from poor sleep with Mac last night, but Aaron insisted intake a nap and I'm glad he did cause it really helped me feel better. I usually don't nap (even if I should) cause I don't feel good after a nap but today was great!

1 comment:

  1. Love the baby bump pics! I can't believe you are almost half way through already!

    ReplyDelete