Friday, October 7, 2011

When You Thought I wasn't Looking

This is a poem I received via chain email today.  The author is unknown.

I was very touched and decided to add the poem to my blog because I really believe in the message. 

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

A message every adult should read because children
are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.
When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator,
and I wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw you feed a stray cat,
and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw you make my favorite cake for me,
and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I heard you say a prayer,
and I believed that there was a God to talk to.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I felt you kiss me goodnight,
and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw tears come from your eyes,
and I learned that sometimes things hurt,
but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I saw that you cared,
and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking,

I looked....
and I wanted to say thanks for all the things
I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.
I have tried (though at times I have failed) to be a better person for my son, so that I can be an example of the person I hope he'll grow up to be. Aaron and I both believe that we need to behave the way we want him to behave and live up to the standards we want him to live up to. We will continue to lead by example and strive to be better at it every day.

I love you, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment