Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Working Mom's Day in Pictures (and a few words)

As the title suggest this is going to be a chronical of my day as a working mother. Start to finish. I wrote it in parts, checking in as my day went on. Enjoy!

Up bright and early for a shower. Ava usually wakes for a feeding at 6, but today I had to wake her.

She is now back in her crib while I finish getting ready for work. Everyone else is still asleep as well. 


Off to work I go. Breast pump in tow. My workday starts at 6:30 am.


7:52 am. Already dragging. Time for a pick me up!


9:30 am. Its time for a pumping session! I may sneak a nap while I pump. Usually I set a timer to wake me in case I do fall asleep. 

I ended up texting a friend and party planning while pumping. 


Is it too soon to start planning Ava's first birthday?

11:30 am. Quick bite for mommy. This isn't the most nutritious meal (which I feel badly about since I'm breastfeeding) but its what I had on had here at my office. I reuse my iced coffee cup to make iced tea at work. 


I don't typically remove my crust, but this loaf of bread absorbed the odor of my fabric softeners and it seemed strongest in the crust, so I thought it would help. I ended up not being able to eat it at all because the fragrance was still there. Womp womp!

Noon. I am on my way home to nurse Ava and feed the boys (all 3).


When I got home Aaron informed me that Mac was not feeling well. He had a fever and was complaining of a headache, so I got him some Tylenol and OJ.

I made Aaron a couple of BLTs. Adrian had graham crackers with cottage cheese and apple sauce. 

Mac being sick is the kind of curveball moms always get thrown their way. He turned down his lunch but was willing to take fluids so that was good. 

1:12 pm. Back at work. A little late, but my boss is very understanding. 

I will bow plow through work until it's time to head back home.

3 pm. Home again. First things first, I have to nurse Ava again. 


Mac was napping when I arrived, so I set Adrian up with a pen and paper to keep him busy while I nursed Ava. 

Here's his masterpiece. 


3:52 pm. I played with the two little ones for a while and then Mac woke up from his nap. Adrian had not yet had his afternoon nap (tisk tisk, daddy) so I got him down and go Mac set up with some juice and a blanket on the couch. 

Now I'm ready to toss in the diaper laundry. 


I posted the sign above in my laundry closet yesterday in preparation of diaper laundry today. It brings the joy out of a not so joyous chore!

5:31 pm. AND THEN THERE WAS ANOTHER CURVE BALL!

One of our cars was towed without notice and we just realized it.

I've been on the phone with the tow company and my community manager. That issue is yet to be resolved all the car seats were in that car so I could not even retrieve the car today if I wanted to!

I'm behind schedule now, but my next task is to clean up this loveliness that Aaron did not get to while he was "on duty."


Then I will make dinner. 

7:17 pm. Adrian woke up after I wrote the last sentence so I skipped right to making dinner because he was hungry. 

Now where I'm at is Ava has been bathed, nursed and put to sleep for the night (unless I just jinxed her beautiful sleep pattern with that sentence). Mac picked at some steamed rice for dimner and Adrian ate a full dinner. He is now in the bath playing while Mac watches a show. 

I prefer that they not bathe together since Mac is sick. In fact I probably won't bathe Mac at all since he has been home all day. I would rather not risk him getting a chill. 

So now while Adrian plays in the tub (he's been cleaned up and I can see him from the kitchen) I will try to do a bit of straightening up and maybe unload the dishwasher before he has to get out. 


Oh I almost forgot my diaper laundry is on its last rinse cycle!


Thank goodness for the checklist. I could have easily lost track today. 

8:28 pm. Today has turned out to be quite a challenging day. A huge exception from the normal, so it's funny that I decided to capture today in this blog. Obviously I had no idea things would go this way. 

Since my last check-in Mac vomited all over himself and the couch. As I ran to his aid, Adrian took advantage of the distraction and proceeded to open the brand new bottle of body wash and pour it out entirely. 

I quickly pulled him from the tub and put Mac in. Ava was awakened from Mac's sobs (see I jinxed it) so I slipped a diaper on Adrian and ran to comfort Ava. 

Adrian (who was sort of running free while I juggled the other 2) got hold of Mac's vomit covered clothes began and dunking them in the toilet. Yep. That actually happened. 

Considering all that's occurred I will be emailing my boss to let him know I won't be in tomorrow. Odly enough, earlier today he asked if I would be in tomorrow.  He wanted to make sure I would pull him from the board meeting if he wasn't out by the time his telephone appearance at hearing was set to begin. 

I will still call in to make sure he is out in time, but its funny that he asked. Another jinx!

Now I must go get Adrian who is playing with markers. The last time he was unsupervised with a marker he ate the felt tip out of it.

How many of you reading still think I have it all together?

9:31 pm. Everyone is asleep (for now). I now have to get the throw blankets and pillows from my couch washed.

10:15 pm. Aaron just called to tell me he is on his way home. I recounted the events of the evening and told him that somehow I still had a smile on my face. He told me that he was glad I was the one he got to go through these sort of things with. 

11:44 pm. I finally finished up in the kitchen. I served Aaron his dinner and made him an iced tea.

He brought me an iced coffee ('cause he's awesome) and now I'm watching Under the Dome while I enjoy my coffee. 

I should sleep, but I want to decompress a little first. 

Each day, I tell myself I will get to bed earlier than the day before and yet I always seem to be up until at least midnight every night. 


I'm finally off to bed. I gave up on my show. I heard Mac whimpering in his room and when I went to check on him I realized he was very warm and his pulse was racing. 

I just hung up with the advice nurse who reassured me that heavy breathing and fast heart rates are normal with fever. I counted 156 bpm for him and she said its normal to go up to 200 bpm at his age. 

His fever is 103.8 with Tylenol in his system which is pretty high in my opinion, but she told me that the danger zone starts at 106 for him. 

Among other things I have to do tomorrow, I will be going to pick him up some pedialyte. 

He's in bed with me so I can be near if he starts throwing up or otherwise just needs comfort tonight. 

Thanks for reading about my day. Nighty night!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a rough day! I hope the next day was easier and Mac is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete