Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sito is 16 Months Old!

Sito (pronounced seet-oh) is Adrian's nick name and as I contemplated this post, I naturally titled it "Sito is..." in my head. I do love his real name, but he is "sito" to us. Even Mac refers to him as Sito.


*Side note* Sito or cito are suffixes in Spanish that create a diminutive version of a word as a token of affection. Adrian was Adriansito (little Adrian) for a while which evolved into just "sito" and sometimes he's "brothersito" or "babysito" and I love that!

Speaking if names and words. Here is a list of the words he is currently using:

Baba (bottle)
Mama
Dada
Bye (said with a southern drawl - so cute)
Ba-buh (Ava. He uses the differing A sounds and places the B sound in front of each. It almost sounds like baba for bottle, but its distinct because the A sounds are different. And he says it when he is playing with her.)
Thank you (too too)
Choo-choo
Cool
Mm-hmm
Uh-uh
Huh?
Bow-bow (Brown Bear)
Tee-tee (brush teeth)
Shoe
Caca (embarrassingly obvious meaning)
Look (pronounced wook)
That one (pronounced dah-wuh)

He says "that one" A LOT. He will point to things he wants and say it. He says it as a question sometimes. It's basically a default communication tool for him. 

A couple of weeks ago (more precisely the 17-20th of July) Aaron was out of town so I took off work to stay home with the kids. During that time Adrian started requesting to use the toilet. He would point to it and say "caca?" I finally put him on and he actually went! He isn't consistent with it, but if he asks I do put him on and he may go but lately he hasn't been. He usually does not give himself enough lead time and will have already gone before I get him on, but I'm surprise at how early he is catching on and noticing the sensations. I don't plan to do any more intensive potty training, but I do allow and encourage his curiosity about the toilet. 

{Chocolate face. No time for wiping up when you have to use the potty!}

During Aaron's time away I also decided to start a strict sleep training plan to get Adrian to stop waking/screaming at 3 am. 

If I didn't mention it last month, he started this habit at about 13 months and I was not having any success in trying to current it. In fact it was only worsening as he got older. I think part of it was that Aaron and I weren't on the same page. I was ok with letting him cry so long as I knew that he was safe, warm/cool enough, not in pain (no teething/had his ears checked) and not hungry or otherwise uncomfortable. I would go in to comfort him but would not take him out of the crib. Aaron did not like to hear him cry so he would insist I take him out and I eventually would cave. 

While he was gone, however, I stuck to my guns. The first night Aaron was away I went in and guided Adrian back down to lying and then I sat next to his crib and stuck my hand through the slats of the crib to play with his hair until he fell asleep. This involved some crying but he fell asleep that way and the next night I didn't even have to touch him I just say next to his crib until he was asleep again. 

Now he is a breeze to put to sleep once again. He also does not wake at 3 am any longer. 

I was getting a bit scatter brained and irritable from all the night waking with him so I am very glad to have things back in order. 

All in all he is doing great. He is a rambunctious little guy with a firey temperament but he's so cute and lovable all at the same time. He's also a pretty smart little cookie and impresses me all the time.

I'm sad that he's growing up so fast and that his baby days are already behind us, but he is a really fun little boy who I enjoy very much. It's such a joy to watch him grow and discover new things. 

I often find myself admiring him and thanking God for blessing me with him. He, like his daddy, challenges me, teaches me new things and causes me to reflect on myself all the time. I love him so much and am so happy that of all the characteristics he inherited from his daddy, he definitely inherited my affectionate manner! It's definitely the best of both worlds for me!

Happy 16 months, Sito!

Love, 

Mama





1 comment:

  1. He is so cute and I love the nickname! Yay for getting him to sleep better. A momma of 3 needs all the sleep she can get.

    ReplyDelete