Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Monthly Update: Mac

Today is Mac's monthly birthday. He's 39 months old or 3.25 years old.

I can't remember what I mentioned about him last month (and I could look back but I have little time to blog so I won't). However, lately it's like a whole new world is opening up for him.

If I didn't mention it, he can spell his own name now. And he also recognizes all letters of the alphabet. This means that whenever we are out he is always pointing out letters he notices. 

The other day we were outside of Hobby Lobby and he said, "mama look! H-O-B-B-Y L-O-B-B-Y!" Then he asked what it spelled. 

I wonder what that must feel like for him. One day he's just walking around oblivious to all the letters and signage and now he sees them all around. He even pointed to a bike rack and said "Mama! It looks like a letter M!" And it did!!

I recently taught him to play grocery store and he asked me for a card to pay with. I also cut up some green construction paper to be money. He paid no mind tomy  faux money. Sometime thereafter I bought him a pack of play money and was so excited to give it to him. I thought he would love having his own "real money" to play with and not silly old cut up paper. 

When I presented it to him he was not impressed. I realized he did not know what money was. He gets money from grandpa but it goes straight in the bank and whenever we pay for things we use debit cards so to him money is meaningless. It's so funny to me, but its totally a sign of the times. I don't know many people who carry much cash around.

Today my dad gave them a bucket full of change so I took Mac to turn it in and let him use the bills to buy treats for himself and his brother. I figured I might as well start teaching him about how real money works. 

Aaron has been out of town the last several days and Mac has really stepped up to help in Aaron's absence. 

I'm not sure how he understood that I needed him to be on his best behavior or that it came in handy to have his help, but he totally came through for me. 
{brought his brother to color while mama finished getting ready in the morning} 

{set up his and Adrian's toothbrushes and toothpaste while I put sister to bed.}

He has been very obedient (not perfect but the very best be can manage) he's been patient with me when I can't tend to him the minute he wants me to. He's also been extra careful to practice manners when needing to interrupt an adult conversation (his greatest manners struggle) and he has been an extra set of hands/eyes for me when I need it. 
{teaching the little boy in the picture how to use the sand digger. He demonstrated it then said "now your turn."}

I'm so proud of my boy and so happy with the kind of kid he's turning out to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment