Saturday, May 19, 2012

Macario is 13 Months Old!

This past month has been an explosion of development for you, my son! Just as all the months before, this one seemed to have vanished before my very eyes, but I'm not quite as emotional about it as I was before. This month I am excited to watch you grow and change.

I should say that I have always been excited to watch you grow, but it was more traumatizing when you were growing out of the baby stage. It's safe to say that you have now outgrown that stage and I have come to terms with it. I don't have that same sense of "I'm losing my baby" because you're not a baby and haven't been for a little while now. You're fully into the toddler stage, and so I'm not as sad this month as previous months.

You had a couple of sleep regressions which are no fun for any of us. I've read that it can take approximately 2 years to establish a solid sleep schedule and it looks like it just might take that long for you to get there. This month however, we adjusted to it a little better.

This month the sleep regressions were due to your having a sore throat followed by a tooth cutting (your top left--you now have 4 teeth total). I tried to let you cry it out, but you were too uncomfortable to cry yourself to sleep, so Daddy suggested I bring you into bed with us until you felt better. Usually I resist doing so, but I gave in this month.

Unfortunately, you didn't sleep well in our bed either. You tossed and turned and squirmed all around. None of us got very much sleep this way, but at least you weren't screaming your head off in your crib!

Once your sore throat healed and the tooth finally cut through, I switched back to our regular routine. The first night was hard because you had gotten used to sleeping with us. Since we knew you were better and not in anymore pain, I used the cry it out method to get you back on track and it did the trick! We're back in shape now and thank goodness for that because I was beginning to feel like a zombie!

I'm sure we still have a few more regressions left to get through, but it's just a part of growing up I guess!

The sore throat you had actually lead us to the emergency room (your first time there)! At first you were developing a rash all over your body and that lead to an especially high fever and lots of vomiting. I finally took you in one evening as you had refused food and drinks the entire day and had very few wet diapers. I was worried you might be dehydrated and didn't feel safe waiting until the morning to take you in to see Dr. C so off to the emergency room we went.
Viral Rash
We were taken back right away as they wanted me to leave you undressed to help bring your temperature down. Daddy met us there and arrived just before the doctor came in to check you out. We left with a diagnosis of Pharyngitis and directions to administer ibuprofen to for pain and to keep the fever down. I was so thankful that you were not dehydrated because it was making me really sad to think of you being that sick and even more so having to watch you get an IV put in.

You also had your first bike ride this month. You looked so cute in your little helmet and Daddy told me you had a great time. Here's a little video of you guys heading out on the ride!
This month you have shown a lot of interest in reading. You finally sit still for a short time while I read to you. You've even taken some of the books and read to yourself. I've found you with a book opened up in your lap and heard you babble as you point to the words on the pages. And of course you often read the books upside down!
Your vocabulary is filling in nicely as well.  You use several words consistently. You can combine them with gestures and have even formed a sentence.
Here's a list of words you can say as well as a description of gestures you make with certain words:
Apple (up-oh) - you say "up-oh" when you want an apple or pear
Bird (boo) - you point to the birds in Grandma Frances' cage and say "boo" This is also how you ask to watch your favorite movie, Rio.
Tree (Tttt) - everytime you see trees you just make a hard "Ttttt" sound.You point out almost every tree you see!
More (Moh) - this isn't realy a new word you're saying, but what is new is that you now combine it with the gesture of putting your hand out for more and you made your first sentence saying, "Dada Moh!"
Balloon (boon) - also not a new word, but you have a look book that we "read" every day and this month you have recognized the balloons on one of the pages. Everytime we turn to that page you say "Boon!"
Ball (bah) - again not a new word, but this month you've decided that anything round is a ball, including oranges. You love to eat oranges and whenever you see them at either of your grandma's houses you repeat "bah, bah, bah" until we feed you an orange.
Bottle (baba) - this is distinct from ball because you say "baba" and not "bah, bah, bah." You've been able to understand what we were talking about when we asked if you wanted a "baba" in the past. It wasn't until we started to wean you off that you actually started to ask for it.
Milk (me) - you don't say this consistently, but when you see milk you will sometimes whine for "me"
Yay (eee) - you combine the "eee" with a huge smile and clap. Sometimes for no reason! *smile*
and lastly you gesture your fingers for me to sing "itsy bitsy spider" and when the song is over you say "eee" and clap.

Although I could go on and on, those are the most significant developments this month. I've already had to start a running list of things to mention next month because you're bursting at the seems with new skills and words all the time! Like I said, this month has been a developmental explosion, and it continues!

I'm so proud to say that you're a very happy, healthy and well-loved little boy and no matter how hold you get you'll always be my little baby.

Happy 13 months, son! Love Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment