Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

This year will be my second Mother's Day.  My first Mother's Day was special just because it was my first and since Macario was only 2 weeks old then, I was in total baby bliss! Every day was special then (every day is still special, but you know what I mean).

What makes this year even better is that I am now an experienced Mother and feel I've earned a day of recognition.

I still have so much to learn, but here are a few things I have already learned in one short year:
  • I've never loved anyone the way I love my son. It's absolutely inexplicable, so I won't even try.
  • I CANNOT do it all (but I'll still strive to).
  • There isn't a "right" way to do things. We do what we feel is best for our family even if others disagree.
  • The best teachers lead by example. You don't have to say much if you just try to be the person you want your child to grow up to be.
  • I get pleasure out of being selfless. I'm not trying to be a martyr, but putting my son first comes naturally and taking care of him fulfills me.
  • My definition of gross has been greatly altered. Poop in the tub? Let me get that for you--no problem!
  • I feel things more deeply and appreciate others more fully. A stranger once helped me load my groceries in the trunk, so I could deal with Macario. I was standoffish because he was a stranger, but afterward I was so appreciative I almost cried! He probably thought I was nuts.
  • Fevers are our friends, we just have to watch them closely when they stop for a visit.
  • Turns out the best toys are the items in your house which were not designed to be toys (i.e. pots, remote control, door stops, etc.)
  • My husband needs my love too. At first I naturally put all of my focus on baby, but my first baby still needs me and I still need him.
  • There will always be surreal moments. I still look at my son and say, "I can't believe he's real and he's doing [fill in the blank]."
  • My son IS the cutest baby in the world (isn't yours?).
Of course there is more, but some of it can't be explained. You'll just have to go through the experience of parenthood yourself if you'd like to know.

Mommy and Son

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms (and moms-to-be) I know!

 

1 comment: