Tuesday, May 8, 2012

We're Moving

If you follow my blog regularly, you might notice some changes to come.  And as you might guess from the title of this post, the main change is that we are going to be moving!

I could just say nothing, but I figure if I'm using this blog as a memory book of sorts, then I should definitely document this big change in our lives.

A little background:

When Aaron and I got married we decided we wanted to start living a simpler life.  We wanted to start focusing on living life rather than materialistic pursuits. It was also time to start being serious about saving some money to put down on a house. Among other things we did to simplify our life and save money, was to get rid of one of the cars. Fortunately, we found a place directly across the street from my office building so that I could walk to work. The daily walks were great for my body and spirit (not to mention easy on the pocket book)!

In keeping with "living life" we got out together and enjoyed the nature all around us.  Our neighborhood was in a great location for the newlyweds with no kids phase of our life--close to my office, walking distance to trails, close proximity to shopping/entertainment and minutes from downtown! 

Then I got pregnant.

It was the best and most amazing thing that had ever happened to us except that starting a family has dramatically changed our needs.  We no longer appreciate the convenience of our proximity to entertainment because we are focused on the inconvenience of our location with regard to the distance of Mac's sitters and Aaron's work.

Everyday of the week, I waste precious time (I could be spending with my son) commuting to pick him up and then commuting back home.  Everyday of the week, Aaron wastes excessive amounts of gas driving to work and then traveling around a small radius of his work place before driving back home.  We live much too far out of the way now to suit this new phase of our lives and no longer are seeing any convenience.

This is the time of year that our lease comes due and with all that I've mentioned in mind we decided to move. Since I'm stationary at my office (no work related travel for me), we wanted to find a place closer to Aaron's work which would also be closer to Mac's sitters.

We began our search several months ago (in anticipation of the lease renewal date), but unfortunately we could not find anything comparable to what we have now.  We realized what an amazing value we had and decided not to move unless we found something that was truly comparable (despite our poor location).  It seemed that no such thing existed, however, so we decided we would stay put and continue the search. 

Neither of us was really satisfied with that decision because in order to have the freedom to leave as soon as we found something that would work for us we'd have to go onto a month-to-month lease (which would cost us extra money each month).  To avoid spending extra money on the month-to-month lease, we decided to re-sign a shorter lease. That was still a bit worrisome because getting locked into a lease, meant we'd have to pass on a good deal if we found one in the meantime!

Still, we felt our best bet was to re-sign and pick up the search later. 

The Proposition:

The night before we were to meet with the property manager to re-sign our lease I got a phone call from my dad who said he had a "proposition" for us.

I'll admit I was a little concerned wondering what he was about to propose and definitely wasn't expecting him to make the offer he made (I don't think he even knew we were hunting for a new place), but he definitely gave us something to think about. 

He made us an offer we absolutely could not refuse. He asked us to move into the house at a dirt cheap price ("to help with expenses" as he put it) and though I definitely hesitated at first, Aaron pointed out that there were several pros to the situation compared to my one con.

So with no time to think, we decided to take my dad's offer and put in our notice to vacate!

We have to be out of our place by May 31st and in the meantime we have blown the first weekend without getting much done in the way of packing and will have very little packing time next weekend between my mother-in-law's birthday and Mother's Day!

You're not the only one who thinks we're crazy! Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you luck! I'm sure it will be stressful but it will work out!

    ReplyDelete