Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Macario is 16 Months Old!

Dear Son,


Today you are 16 months old and I’m back to being amazed at how quickly it happened. This past month has been a whirlwind. Aside from all of us being sick at some point of the month, I started a new job and we also found out that you’ll be having a new brother or sister! I have so many mixed emotions about it, but overall I’m so happy that I’ll have two beautiful blessings and you’ll have the amazing gift of a sibling.

I think you’re going to be a great big brother. You are so sweet and you already notice babies. Even before I knew I was pregnant, you had begun to say “bay-bee!” whenever you saw a baby. You are also very loving toward your baby cousins and that makes me so happy. I think you’ll love your little brother or sister to bits!

I’ve noticed you’ve been very clingy with me and your daddy lately. You’ve always been sort of clingy with him whenever he’s around (because he is your favorite person—ever) and you’ve always been sort of attached to me too (not unusually so), but it’s been taken to a new level these past few weeks.

Someone reminded me of the old thought that babies can sense a pregnancy (especially their own mommy’s) so it’s possible that you’re drawn to me more than usual because I’m pregnant, but I can’t say how true or not true that is.

Development wise, we haven’t seen as much change as in other months. You’ve achieved so much so fast and now it’s more like you’re strengthening your abilities versus accomplishing new ones.

I remember the day that you didn’t put your hand out for mine as you were walking down the front steps. It was bittersweet. Of course I love to celebrate your accomplishments, but I felt so needed each time you paused at the step and reached out for my hand so I was also a tiny bit sad to see you tackle that step on your own.

You are using your words and signs a lot more now—especially “please.” It’s nearly impossible to say no to you when you ask for something and whisper “pease” as you sign with your chubby little hand. When you ask for something, I’ll say “What do you say?” and you will use your sign and say “pease.” I absolutely love it!

Now that I think of it, you have achieved a major milestone in that you are starting to follow directions. When asked to do something I’ve noticed you stop to think about it at least, if not actually complete the task. The other day I asked you to throw something in the garbage can and you did it. I’ve also asked you to hand me things and you’ve done that too.

On the flip side of wonderful accomplishments, you’ve also taken another major step into the Terrible Twos. At this point, you’re thought processes are much more complex than you can articulate to us. As well your reasoning skills aren’t as strong as your desires to do things that we don’t want you to, so we’ve noticed more breakdowns. All in all you’re really just testing your boundaries in order to discover and learn, which is great, but it’s definitely a challenge to keep from losing my patients while you’re throwing a hysterical fit. It’s also a challenge to understand when you need help and when I should back off and not feed into the fits. We’ll get there together.

You had your first road trip that was longer than a 45 minute ride. We went to Reno, NV for Hot August Nights and you did surprisingly well in the car. It was such a relief. When you were younger I wouldn’t have dared to take that trip, but you are much better in the car now than you were as an infant.

Speaking of cars, Daddy has decided that in his car you will ride forward facing. The thought still makes me a bit nervous. I believe that the safest thing is to practice extended rear facing and so in my car you do still sit facing the rear of the car, but you love the new perspective in daddy’s car. Ultimately, you’re still very safe in your car seat which is securely fastened in the proper location of the car. Now that you’ve had a taste of forward facing I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to keep you rear faced in my car. We shall see.

It’s been an interesting month full of surprises and fun. I love you so much and that love still grows every day. I hope you always know that and that you never ever wonder because you and your Daddy (and soon to be sibling) are my entire world!

Happy 16 months, son!

Love,

Mommy
Pictures to be added at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment