Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mac Funnies: Oh S#!*


Kids are sponges, everyone knows that, but to what extent was not as clear to me before as it is now.

A few days before Thanksgiving, I heard Macario say something that sounded like, “Oh shit.” I wasn’t quite sure if that was what he was saying and couldn’t think of a time when he would have heard it. I made a mental note, but nothing more.

In the days following that first, “Oh shit” he continued to say it and I asked everyone who heard him if they thought that was what he was saying. No one was really sure, because as he pronounced it, it sounded like “oh sit.” Aaron insisted he wasn’t saying it because he’s never heard it. Still I was careful and asked everyone to ignore it in hopes that he would just drop it.

Then one day he used it in context and I was certain that he was saying “Oh shit.” Still no one believed me. The next time he said it, he was climbing on a chair saying “oh sit, oh sit.” Because of the way the pronounced the words one could argue that he was actually saying, “sit” so when I heard him repeating that as he climbed on the chair I said, “yes, son, SIT on the chair.” Aaron then insisted that he was only trying to say, “sit.” I hoped he was right, but seriously doubted it.

As the days went on I continued to pay attention and I noticed people using the phrase here and there. Though I was paying close attention I only heard It used a few times. Once my sister blurted it out; it slipped out of my mom’s mouth another day and Aaron too. I hadn’t caught myself saying it, probably because I was being extra careful, but it wouldn’t have been a total shock to me if I caught myself saying it (though that’s the worst of the naughty words I say). Still it was used so infrequently, it was surprising that Mac could have picked it up—sponge!

Thanksgiving morning he woke up saying “oh sit” as he climbed out of bed. I heard him muttering, “oh sit, oh sit...” and couldn’t help but laugh. I wondered how I was going to get him to stop since I had yet to discourage it directly as I wasn’t clear that he was saying “oh shit” and was worried that if he was trying to say something else I’d discourage him from perfecting whatever else it was he was attempting to say.

I continued to listen and was pretty sure of what he was saying simply because of how and when he chose to use the phrase.

On Black Friday, Aaron thought he lost his bank card. As we searched the car looking for his card, Mac was bouncing back and forth in the front seat saying “oh sit, oh sit.” I whispered to Aaron that I thought for sure he was saying “oh shit.” Aaron still wasn’t sure.

Finally, that night we got some clarity. Mac and my brother were playing in the living room as we all sat around visiting with my aunt and uncle. My brother was pushing Mac in his little wheelbarrow when suddenly one of the wheels popped off. Mac looked down and exclaimed “oh sit!” We all burst into laughter because how could you not?!

I was a little embarrassed that my sweet, innocent little angel would be using foul language, but everyone thought it was hilarious and I was glad to have an answer! He was definitely saying “OH SHIT!”

By the next day I had him saying, “oh man” instead. It’s equally as cute, but not nearly as funny!

1 comment:

  1. HILARIOUS!!! This past weeken Kyle tripped and said 'shit' Cooper then repeated it!!! We both looked at each other shocked and just smiled. Didn't make a big deal about it but definitely trying to be more careful.

    ReplyDelete