Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What's for Dinner: Quick Fix Meals

Chicken Sausage over 
Veggies and Steamed Rice

I guess that’s what I’ll call it. *chuckle* This meal has become a recurring meal, popping up at least once a month in my kitchen 1) because it’s yummy and 2) because I get lazy. It’s also a great idea when you’re pressed for time. Some nights I just want to take care of chores as quickly as I can so that I’ll have more time with Aaron and Macario, that is where this meal comes into play.

What you need:
Main Ingredients


1 package of your favorite sausage (I used Guy Fieri’s Tequila Lime Chicken Sausage)
1.5 cups medium grain rice
1 cup frozen veggie mix (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
3 cups water
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan with a tight fitting lid. Once boiling, add the rice and veggie mix to the water. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low and cover. Let that cook, covered for 20 minutes. No need to mix after this point.

While the rice cooks, cut your sausage into disks and brown the sausage in a skillet. Because I used a chicken sausage, I added a small amount of olive oil to the pan so that it would not dry out. Once brown remove your sausage from the heat. This step should take you through to the end of the rice’s cooking time.
Your rice is done if it appears tender and there is no liquid in the pot. If it isn’t done, keep it cooking on low for another few minutes (I say 5 minutes at a time). It helps if you use a clear lid so that you don’t have to open the lid to check.

Once your rice is done, add the butter, salt and pepper and fluff the rice with a fork making sure to incorporate the butter, salt and pepper.   

I served this meal with a simple salad of baby spinach, sliced Anjou pears (I forgot to add the pears before I took this picture) and a tangy vinaigrette.
Mommy's helper. He made sure I didn't screw anything up!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment