Monday, January 23, 2012

Macario is 9 months old!

Dear Son,

So we're now 3 quarters of the way through your first year? Am I counting that right, because it feels like you were literally just born yesterday. Somebody is not listening when I say it is time to SLOW DOWN! My heart can't handle another second of this "growing" business, so please lets just stop. Okay?

Oh how I wish it was that easy. No matter what I do, no matter what I say, you're going to keep growing and changing. That's a fact. I guess I'd better learn to deal with it because you seem to be growing and changing faster and faster each month.
Over the last month you have begun to make enormous strides and also, you've regressed in some areas a little. That's ok though. It's all part of the process of growing up.

Let's first talk about how you've regressed, since there really is only one area in which you have done so. Unfortunately, it's a very important area (at least to me) - sleep.
You have been struggling with sleep issues for the last few weeks. It's as if you're terrified of your crib. I tried to do a modified cry it out method, but that didn't work because when you get too upset you are not able to settle yourself down.

I had gotten a little relaxed on your bedtime routine which I think contributed to the troubles, so I have gone back to our old manner of doing things and that seems to be helping. Also, I had to sacrifice one night of sleep in order to help you stay in your own crib without getting too upset. That night, I was awake with you from 2:00 am until 5:00 am. During that time you woke up about every 10 minutes or so and each time you did, I gave you a hug, a kiss and said "Mommy loves you. Time for nigh-nights" and then got you to lay back down while I patted you to sleep.

My goal was to demonstrate to you that when you wake up, you will only be comforted back to sleep in  your own bed. There will be no picking up, no rocking, no bottles and NO sleeping in Mommy and Daddy's bed.

I feel it worked, because the next night you only woke up three times (10 p.m., 2 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.) each time it only took me 2-5 minutes to get you back to sleep.  Then the next night you woke up once at 4:00 a.m. and all it took was a hug and some patting to get you to sleep. I'm afraid to call it a success yet, but I think we're on the road to getting good sleep again!

So, sleep is the area in which you have regressed, but in other areas you are progressing very well.

Your bottom teeth are now visible! They broke through on your 9 month birthday! I'm really excited for you be cause you no longer want to eat baby food, but I'm sad for me because I will miss your gummy grin.

I have transitioned you to table foods that are suitable for you, since you are resisting the mushy baby foods. I was nervous about you choking, but you're really good at breaking things down with just your gums. You've got a powerful jaw!
We have also found a sippy cup that you enjoy using. I'm not trying to wean you off the bottle yet, but it's helpful to transition you to a cup before we wean you off that way we're not doing it all at once.

You can also take up to six unsupported steps at a time! You pull yourself up on everything from the couch to the cabinets in the kitchen to our pants. It's getting harder and harder to keep track of you because you are all over the place. You can speed crawl which is pretty funny. I get down on the ground and chase you and you'll crawl quickly over to Daddy.

You still love to play with Daddy's mac book and I always have to take you away when he's working on it. It's pretty funny that you now take a look around to see if I'm watching before you make your way over to it. When I do catch you, you screech and scurry over to try and get to it before I can get to you. LOL

When you hear applause you clap now. I thought it was adorable when I caught you doing that the other day. You also love to dance to music. You put your little hands in the air and bounce to the music. It is SO adorable!

Son, you are a joy in our lives. Love just flows out of you and it's beautiful to experience it ourselves and it's just as wonderful to see you share it with others. You make so many people happy, I hope that never changes.

Happy nine months, Macario.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment