Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cry it out.

Macario was always a champion sleeper, but ever since he started to get teeth he has really been struggling (and so have I).

I shrugged it off thinking he'd go back to normal once the teeth came in. Then he got sick and then sick again. We started doing anything to get sleep from one night to the next including bringing him into our bed and making a bed in his room for us!

Needless to say things have not gone back to normal and on Thursday night I was up 4 (maybe 5) times with him throughout the night.

Some nights I'm so worn out that I do things I don't remember doing. I've even had a few unexplained bruises that I would bet happened as I'm zombie walking through the house in the middle of the night.

Last night I decided I was just going to have to let Macario cry himself to sleep. So when I put him down to bed I kissed him, wished him a good night and I left the room. He pulled himself up to standing and bounced in his bed while he cried. After 10 minutes I went in gave him a hug, a kiss, said, "I love you, baby. It's time for nigh-nights" and laid him back down. It took 3 cycles like that before he dozed off.

He did have an episode during the night and it took 2 cycles to get him back to sleep.

I tried it with his naps today, but he fought me tooth and nail.

Tonight, however, he was asleep 4 minutes into the first cycle!

Seems we've made some progress. Once I feel like I have nights under control, I'll work on naps, but for now I feel accomplished!


6 comments:

  1. Im so sorry about his sleeping troubles!! Teething is hard!! Poor guy. I cant help but wanna snuggle him in his pics though :) :) Hope it gets better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to resist snuggling him instead of letting him cry. It proved to be well worth it in the end!

      Delete
  2. Glad things are better! I know it is tough, but I don't blame you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend, I'm SO sorry you're dealing with that..it's exhausting! Yeah for progress though!! Sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction. Hang in there, it will get better soon. And he is SOOO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. It was hard to hear him cry, but I'm pretty proud of myself as it did get better!

      Delete