Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's for Dinner: Meal Planning

After last week's dinner FAIL I was feeling pretty ashamed. Though I work full time, I pride myself on still keeping up with my wifely and motherly duties. (I know it's not the 1950s but I love to take care of my boys)

I decided that in order to avoid another FAIL I would need to take a more serious approach when it comes to meal planning. I used to plan out a month's worth of meals and do one big trip to the grocery store. But a couple of weeks into the month some of the food I designated to certain meals would have been used for something else or I wasn't cooking off of the plan at all! Not to mention that we were still going to the store a few times a week!

So, I've changed my method. I planned out one week of meals and bought stuff for that meal plan. I didn't plan it around the sales ad because 1) that was too ambitious for week one and 2) I had already thrown out the ads (tisk tisk, I know).

This is the book I used to get ideas for my one week meal plan:
The recipes in this book are relatively easy and they are nutritious (not to mention they are yummy) SCORE!

On Sunday, we made a trip to the farmers market for produce and then to the grocery store for the rest. Here is my loot:
I spent way more than I had planned to spend for one week, but we needed some essentials as well as the items I needed for the meal plan. Next week, I'm hoping to concentrate a little of my efforts to budget friendly meal planning.

As I was putting everything away I decided I should process some of it (while I had the time) so I'd have less to do during the week. Here is just some of what I got done on Sunday night:
Thanks to prepping some of my food in advance, I've been able to whip out some pretty quick (but still healthy) meals!

So far this plan has made for a much less stressful week and I'm feeling pretty accomplished between this week's meal planning and getting Macario in a better sleep pattern.

I wonder what I'll be able to accomplish next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment