Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Goals

I keep a running list of tasks I want to accomplish in my head constantly and I never seem to run out of things I want to get done. However, there are two problems with my current system: 1. I never seem to feel like I've accomplished anything and 2. I forget things I had in mind to do!

I guess there is a third issue as well. I often think of things I want to do at inopportune moments and have to fight the compulsion to drop what I'm doing and work on whatever task I think up.

So this month (today rather) I decided I would try a new method of tracking my tasks or goals. This new method will also show me how much I have accomplished!

I prepared a chart (see picture below) which has three columns. I'll start from the furthest right column.

These are long term goals. Things I know I want to get done which have no deadline or at least not an immediate one.

The middle column consists of thins I want to, need to or can get done within the current month.

Lastly, there is a "Today" column. I will fill this column with things that I need to do that day (dates listed) and also tasks I pull from the monthly column.

At the end of the month I hope to see a lot of red strikeouts and will transfer the rest to the October list.

Also, some things from the long term column will transfer to "this month" in October. For instance "register to vote" that will need to be done by then.

If any of you reading this have ideas to share about your own goal keeping methods please share. I think I have opened up my blog to all comments - meaning you don't have to have an established account to comment. So please comment away!

Oh and please excuse the crazy red tint of this picture. The camera on my phone has developed a mind of its own...

No comments:

Post a Comment