Monday, September 24, 2012

Love Letters

I did a bit of purging of our closet and garage this weekend. While doing so I came across an old purse. I thought I might find a particular item I’ve lost in that purse, so I started to empty out the contents. I found old Christmas cards I forgot to send out, pictures I meant to hand out, and old scraps of papers with miscellaneous notes scratched on them, but not the lost item I was hoping to find.

I was about to scrap the whole thing when I found a piece of paper that looked as if I had been saving it (the way it was folded and tucked away). I pulled it out and realized it was a letter from Aaron – a very sweet one at that.

I won’t share the details of it (as that should be saved for he and I), but it was such a special letter. He isn’t a very expressive man and that isn’t always easy for someone as expressive and affectionate as me, but when he tells me how he feels he really does all he can to let me know how and I appreciate that so much (which is probably why I chose to keep that letter in my purse with me).

What was even more touching was that this letter was written just before our first wedding anniversary (in 2009) and we recently had a very deep conversation in which he said almost the same exact things and of course more, since it is now 3+ years later.

It’s just great to know that he still feels as committed to me as he did then and probably more so.

Some days I’ll be sitting quietly and I will think to myself, “You’re a wife. You’re a wife because someone loved you so much that they wanted to be your husband.” And having these little love notes to read remind me of how lucky I am to be loved and remind me of why we work through the rough times instead of running away.

If you’re reading this, Aaron, I hope you know I’m just as happy to be your wife as I was the day we got married and I love you beyond description.

No comments:

Post a Comment