Though I think I do accomplish a lot on a daily basis, it takes a lot out of me. I don't feel balanced and I really hate to admit it, but I definitely operate at a heightened level of stress at all times.
I'm often told how capable and good I am at what I do (work, wifery, motherhood) and get asked often how I do what I do, but I'm in shambles most nights after trying my damnedest to get "it all" done.
If I were someone else, I'd tell myself to ease up a little, but I digress...
I don't think my goal setting has been unrealistic. Most months I make good progress and I get all the highest priority things done.
This month I am setting some goals that will remind me to relax now and then.
Here goes (without reviewing the last months goals):
*Shower each night immediately after putting the boys down to bed. I don't usually do this. I go straight to cleaning for the last two hours of the night and wake up earlier than the boys to shower in the morning. I'll feel better if I shower at night and have more time to sleep in the morning or do other things like make a special breakfast!
*Keep toenails freshly painted. I don't like my fingernails painted, but I do like a nice clean pedicure. I don't maintain the polish as well as I used to because I usual sacrifice time for this to do other things.
*Prep diaper bags each night. I used to refresh Mac's diaper bag every night, but I got away from it. I'm starting to realize what a life saver it is to just have it ready. Things flow far better when I have things like this done in advance. It's definitely harder to get it ready at the last minute with both boys demanding my attention!
*Nap whenever possible. I didn't do so with either of the boys, and am generally not really a napper, but this week has been rough and there were a couple of days I wouldn't have made my way through if not for taking a nap. It's really a good thing for me to do, especially now that I'm expecting baby #3
*Stop over-tasking. I, being a sort of Type A personality, try to get the most out of my time. I start up a bunch of tasks and juggle them all, but ever since having kids I just can't juggle as many tasks as before. What ends up happening is one of the kids needs or wants my attention and I get pulled away from my tasks. Inevitably I end up dropping a ball or two (if not all of them) and I'm left with a bunch of half-completed tasks and a messy house as a result! When I'm being good about it I remember not to start too many tasks at once, but I plan to be more conscious of that this month. I'm pretty sure that will be the key to lowering my stress level!
Well that's it! Hopefully I stick to these!
No comments:
Post a Comment