Saturday, July 28, 2012

Pregnancy No. 2: Week 4 Recap

Today I am 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant. This is a recap of my experiences with pregnancy number two for week 4.

Size of baby:
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Still not sure. I have to buy a scale so I can see where I'm at and how much my weight will change. I have not lost my appetite yet (like I did with Mac) so I'm thinking I will gain a bit in these first few weeks. *sad face*

Maternity Clothes: My mom ran out and bought me a maternity outfit as soon as we found out. I wore the shirt the next day because I love wearing maternity clothes, but I really don't need them yet. I didn't have to start wearing maternity pants until I was pretty far along with Macario, but I am looking forward to getting into them sooner this time. They are really flattering and very comfortable and I can't wait to see a baby bump!

Gender: We won't know until probably sometime in October. I will likely want to do the private gender determination ultrasound which can be done 4 weeks earlier than the doctor will do an anatomy scan. I'm too impatient to wait for the official scan.

Movement: Looking forward to it! That is one of the things I have missed most about being pregnant.

Sleep: Sleep has been a struggle in the 4th week as well. Though most of it is related to having a toddler rather than being pregnant. I don't remember having trouble sleeping this early on with Macario, but I know it's coming.

What I miss: I already miss my iced tea with Sweet 'n' Low, but I'm happy to give it up!

Cravings: I have not had any cravings this week.

Aversions: I didn't have this category in my last update, but it's relevant this week because I developed an aversion to string cheese again. I picked some up this morning because ordinarily I LOVE cheese. As with Mac's pregnancy, though, as soon as I started to think about eating it I got grossed out! This makes me sad because I do really love cheese. If I could push myself past the grossness I would probably still enjoy it, but no thanks!

Symptoms: Started the week still battling the cold, but it finally started to wear off. Though I still sound congested at this point. I've been having some achey cramps in my uterus and slight light headedness. Also my morning sickness began to set in this week. At 4 weeks and 3 days I started to notice some MS which is like no other feeling I've had outside of pregnancy. I've been nauseous before, but in pregnancy morning sickness feels like heavy fog hanging over you ALL DAY LONG! I was expecting it to come soon, since I seem to remember it starting at about 6 weeks with Macario. The frequency of my urination picked up this week, but so far it's still not as bad as I know it will get.

Best Moment this week: Going to bed with Aaron the first night we found out. I got a positive pregnancy test at exactly 4 weeks pregnant and that night Aaron slept with his hand on my belly and then reached for it again in the morning. The second best thing was being offered a new job! I didn't hesitate to take the job when it was offered to me, but it's going to make for a lot of changes in a really short time. I'm nervous and anxious and very excited.

Hardest Moment this week: Telling Aaron. We were not trying to get pregnant and in fact he had said he didn't want any more kids, so when I found out I was pregnant I panicked a little bit. I was afraid he wouldn't be happy. He surprised me though. Also, the lab screwing up my test results this week has been stressful.

I went in for the lab work at 4w1d and got an "inconclusive" result. That made my heart sink. I ended up going in for more tests at 4w2d and I also picked up some additional pregnancy tests to clear my mind and got some very clear results.

The lines are much darker now! (4 weeks 2 days)

Aaron was frustrated that I spent so much on tests, but I had to keep checking!
At 4w3d I got my beta result from the day before and it was 57. It's not as high as I was expecting, but it's well within range and as long as it's high enough to be considered positive, I'm fine with that number because beta numbers can vary greatly.

Unfortunately, one number isn't enough to go on, so my Dr. B had me go in for additional blood work on Thursday of this week (4w4d). I was supposed to get the blood work done at least 48 hours later. I ended up making it in exactly 48 hours later (both blood draws were done and clocked in at 12:14 p.m.).

The result of the second beta was 171. This is exactly 3 times greater than the first beta result and even though the number isn't stellar, the only thing that really matters is the trend and if the numbers should at least double every 48 hours then I would say tripling in exactly 48 hours is more than stellar!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful BFPs. I am still so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelly! So exciting! Sorry for the stress! Try to relax and enjoy the next 35 weeks : )

    ReplyDelete