Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pregnancy No. 2: Weeks 1-4

Today I am 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant. This is a recap of my experiences with pregnancy number two for weeks 1-4.

Weeks 1 and 2
In the first two weeks of pregnancy there is no actual baby. The first two weeks are actually the week of a woman's menstrual cycle and the week she ovulates.

Week 3
Baby is still just a cluster of cells. Women don't usually notice a lot of changes at this stage, though some swear they notice some symptoms. I did not notice anything this week; however, I did catch a cold and it really hit me hard.

Week 4
 
Size of baby: The embryo is about 0.014 inches to 0.04 inches in length.
Source
Total Weight Gain/Loss: I have not weighed myself since finding out, so I don't know what my starting weight is yet, but hopefully we'll see the same thing happen this pregnancy as with my pregnancy with Macario. I lost lots of maternal fat while gaining baby related weight so eventually I ended the pregnancy at only +6 lbs.

Maternity Clothes: No change. Still in my own clothes.
 
Gender: Too early to tell. Aaron would like a girl, but would be happy with either. I think it would be cool to have a one of each, but I also am excited about the idea of Macario having a brother, so I can't say I have a preference. I just want to end up with a healthy baby.

Movement: No movement. It's much too early. I did feel movement with Mac at 15 weeks, so hopefully I'll feel this baby early on too!

Sleep: These past few weeks have been rough in the sleep department. I think it's only because I've been sick and Mac has been more difficult lately. Nothing pregnancy related I don't think.

What I miss: I hadn't given up anything yet, but I know I will miss sleep, sandwiches and iced tea with Sweet 'n' Low. It's all worth it though.

Cravings: None.

Symptoms: I have battled a cold for at least 2 full weeks now which is a long time for a simple cold. When a woman is pregnant her immune system is suppressed in order to protect the fetus (otherwise her body would reject the pregnancy), so my guess is I have experienced a symptom of that by catching this cold and having it linger on and on. I also noticed that while I've been sick I've had a lot more mucus in my chest and nose though I don't necessarily feel congested. Whenever I would blow my nose I noticed the consistency was very much like EWCM and quite profuse. Something I had never experienced, but didn't attribute to pregnancy until after I realized I was pregnant.
 
Best Moment this week: Nothing very exciting happened during this time. I still didn't even realize I was pregnant.

Hardest Moment this week: Battling this cold and the headaches that came along with it!

3 comments:

  1. Still so excited! I can't wait to follow you through this pregnancy and read all of your updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies! I'm excited to share and am fortunate to have you rooting me on! :)

    ReplyDelete