Thursday, August 15, 2013

Old Wives Tales: Gender Prediction Tests

{source}
I decided it would be fun to test out a bunch of old wives tales to predict the gender of this baby.  Most of the tests below have no scientific backing, and I do not place any weight with any of them. This was just a fun way to keep my mind preoccupied while I wait to find out the gender in October (seems so far away even though we are quickly approaching September already)!

So for your entertainment (and mine) here we go!

Ring on a String - The idea here is that if you hang your wedding rings on a string above your belly you can determine what gender your baby is depending on the direction the ring moves.  If it swings side to side, your answer is girl. If it swings in a circular motion, your answer is boy.

My result was very obviously girl!  When held over my belly the rings swayed gently from side to side.  When I held them out in the air, they made a very strong circular motion.  I even rested my hand against something to make sure that I wasn't encouraging the rings to move in any particular manner.  Yay for girl!

OK now here is the freaky part.  I was looking further into this to figure out what makes it work and in researching I found information that says if you do this test with gold rings then the above information is correct.  However, if you use a silver ring then it's opposite (i.e. side to side = boy and circular motion = girl.) 

My wedding rings are gold and I got a side to side motion so that is a girl result. I redid the test using a silver ring and oddly enough the ring did the opposite!  It swung in a circular motion over my belly and side to side when held out in mid air! This is also a girl result!

Unfortunately, I was not able to find information to explain how/why the test works the way it does.

Baking Soda Test - This test apparently works because it tests the pH level of the urine.  What you're supposed to do is pour your first morning urine over a baking soda.  If there is a reaction (fizzle) then supposedly you're having a boy.  If there is no reaction, then you're having a girl.

The theory is that if you're pregnant with a boy your urine will be more acidic than if you're carrying a girl and if you mix your urine with baking soda.  You will be able to tell whether your urine is acidic or not depending on how it reacts to being mixed with the baking soda.

I did this with Mac and got a boy result.  It didn't get foamy or fizzle like soda, but it did bubble up a little.  There definitely was a reaction.  I did not try it with Adrian.

My result boy. You can clearly see that I got foam/fizz in my cup!



Chinese Gender Chart - Apparently there is a 700+ year old chart that can accurately predict the gender of your baby based on your lunar age at the time of conception and the lunar month of conception.  I tested this for both boys and got an accurate result with Adrian, but inaccurate result with Mac. 

My result this time around is boy, but considering it was only right half the time for my first two, I think this test is no better than just taking a wild guess!

Arithmetic - This mathematical test says if you take the month number of your due date and add your age at the time of conception you can determine your baby's gender.  An odd number is a boy result and an even number is a girl result.

My result is 32 (even) therefore a girl!  I tested it with my older two children and got odd or boy results for both (4+25=29 and 4+27=31).  Last I checked they were both boys so this one was correct twice for me already!

Red Cabbage Test - For this test, you need to mix urine with water that has been steeped with red cabbage (one to one ratio).  This is another one that is based on the pH level of urine, which seems to be the most scientific way of testing, although I'm sure there are plenty of reasons a woman's urine would be more acidic than not other than being pregnant with a boy.  Also important to note is this test is said to be most accurate before 10 weeks.  I was 5 weeks and 5 days when I did this test.

Anyhow, if the mixture (of urine and cabbage water) turns a pink/red color the result is boy.  If the mixture is/remains purple the result is girl. 

My result is definitely boy.


Cabbage water before.
Mixed cabbage water.
Morning sickness - Supposedly if you have morning sickness or vomiting you're pregnant with a girl. If you do not have these symptoms you're pregnant with a boy.

My result is girl, but considering I have had morning sickness with each of my pregnancies (all day sickness actually) and my first two were boys,   I say this test is very WRONG!

Eye veins - This is a new one to me, but apparently if you have a V or Y shaped vein in the bottom of your left eyeball then you're having a girl.  If you have a V or Y shaped vein in the bottom of your right eyeball then you're having a boy.  If you have one in each eye, then either you're having twins or a girl.

My result here is boy.  I have no reference for this from my previous pregnancies, but I wonder if I always have this Y-shaped vein in my right eye or if it really is related to the gender of my baby...

Side Preference - If you prefer to sleep on your left side, then supposedly you're having a boy. Hence, if you prefer the right side, you're having a girl.

My result is girl, however, I always have preferred my right side and I have two boys.

Cravings - Craving sour or salty foods?  You're having a boy.  Craving sweets?  You're having a sweet baby girl.

My result is boy.

Heart rate Test - This test is based on your baby's heart rate.  If baby's heart rate is under 140 bpm you're having a boy. If it is over then you're having a girl.

My result still to be determined...

So the verdict 5 girl for and 5 for boy.  I guess the heart rate will be the tie breaker!  Stay tuned!

...With this out of the way, I need to find something else to preoccupy myself until October...

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I wish I had done all of these! I can't wait for you to find out! Will you do the new bloodwork that tells you gender or do the sono early?

    ReplyDelete