Thursday, August 1, 2013

Adrian's Birth Story

It occurred to me, as I was preparing to do Adrian's 4 month update, that I never shared his birth story.

My last pregnancy update was my 38 week recap (here) and at that point I had just scheduled my c-section and as I was awaiting the date, I was having bouts of contractions which were keeping me on edge, but leading nowhere.

I was released from work on Friday, March 22, 2013 and that weekend I contracted a bunch, but otherwise just kept busy babysitting Aaron's cousin's kids. Though I had hoped to spend that last weekend alone with Macario, it was a fun weekend.

The following Monday (March 25th) I tried to really buckle down and get things ready for baby, but I was not quite as productive as I had hoped (read more here).

Fortunately I still had one more day to prepare.  At that point I wasn't worried about going into labor spontaneously.  I don't know that I would ever go into really quick labor because my pelvis prevents my babies from descending into the birth canal.  If they can't descend, they can't provide the pressure needed to create the really strong productive contractions necessary to cause labor.  Hence, the scheduled c-section.

On Tuesday the 26th I was running on adrenaline.  I stayed up late on Monday finishing things I hadn't gotten done during the day.  That left me free to spend some concentrated time with my first born!  I did do some more prep and had a few incidents that day, but all in all it was a nice mellow day and really set the tone for the events to come!

Finally, came the 27th.  It turns out that the 27th is my ex-coworkers birthday and my new boss' birthday so there were a few people who were extra excited and interested to hear all about baby boy (who still did not have a name!)

39 weeks pregnant!
Aaron, Macario and I arrived at the hospital right on time.  We were taken to do admission paperwork and finally got settled into our room.

Mac was confused by my gown and me laying in the bed.  He got upset when the nurses came in and put in my IV.  I ended up having to be stuck twice because the first IV was very painful.  The nurses were changing shifts so the first nurse took my IV out and then left it up to the next nurse to replace it.

That nurse was a bit patronizing.  She kept saying things like, "Well its a foreign object.  It isn't going to be comfortable..." which annoyed me because I knew that and was not just being a complainer.  The first IV was so painful it was making me feel very anxious and made my heart race.

She placed the second one in my right wrist (the first was in my left) and it was so much better.  When she asked about it later I told her how much better it felt and she said she was tremendously relived.  She said, "I thought maybe you were just one of those sensitive people who were going to be unhappy about it no matter what!" I definitely felt like she was treating me like that at first, but her attitude toward me was much better after that. 

As I said, Mac was unhappy about the IV until I told him it was a sticker (it was all taped up so I thought of calling it a sticker).  After that he was fine.

He explored the room and also hung out with Aaron as we waited to get called back to the OR.


In the meantime, Aaron's older brother came to drop off my mother-in-law.  Originally we were going to leave Mac with her until the baby was born and then Aaron was going to pick them up to bring them to the hospital, but Aaron decided to just have them come to the hospital.

I had him call my mom to come help with Macario as Aaron's brother wasn't going to be able to stay with their mom.

At one point, the anesthesiologist came in to meet me and discuss the procedure.  He was great and also had a very unique name.  Aaron and I considered it for a moment at which point he asked, "Please don't do that to your son." He asked what type of music we'd like to have playing in the OR and set up a station his Pandora app for us to listen later when we were in surgery.

When they did roll me out to the OR Macario was very upset.  Hearing him cry for me made me very sad, but Aaron got to stay with him while they prepped me and that made me feel better.

I was crying when the were prepping me because I still felt so sad for Mac and part of me was scared that something would go wrong and I would never see him again.  Everyone was wonderful and they kept doing their best to comfort me.  The assured me that they'd be as quick as they could so that I could get back to him.

However, things were delayed because the first attempt at the spinal block did not work.  I was still having feeling in my legs and other parts of my body which were supposed to be numb.

When they reset it, I definitely noticed the difference.  It was a bit scary because the numbing sensation consumed my entire body and I couldn't feel my lungs or chest expanding with each breath and that made me feel like I wasn't breathing.

They assured me that I was getting plenty of oxygen and even showed me my oxygenation levels to give me peace of mind.  Still, I was nervous.

I did my best to stay relaxed for the baby's sake and also for Aaron's.  He was in the room by then and asked me what was wrong.  I would have said nothing, but they answered for me and told him I was sacred that I couldn't breath and so he did his best to comfort and calm me.

I asked him if my mom had shown up yet and he said no.  I asked if Mac was ok when he left him and he said no.  Both answers upset me, but there was nothing I could do.  I wished we had left him with his mom at home.  I know he was scared of being in an unfamiliar place without us and knew that would be the case, but there was no time to dwell on it then.

One funny note was that in my opinion the doctor who was going to deliver me looked like Tina Fey!  I wasn't wearing my glasses and I never asked Aaron what he thought, so I'll never know, but in my mind forever there will be an extra tall Tina Fey in my delivery room that day!

Then finally at 5:24 p.m. (less than an hour after getting the procedure started) Adrian was born, weighing 6lbs 11oz and measuring 19.5 inches.

I was so relieved that everything had gone so well and the doctor even told me that I had zero scar tissue from my last c-section!  That really helped in moving things along and getting the procedure over as quickly as possible.

In the recovery room, everything was very calm.  Unlike with Macario where I had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia (I had been put to sleep and was very confused when I was coming to), they told us they would have to take Mac to the NICU and then Aaron passed out!

This time I was awake when they rolled me into recovery and I got to hold Adrian right way.  I got him latched on as soon as I could and he did really well.  He was a good baby from the beginning.  He didn't fuss much, he slept so soundly and he was so stinkin' cute!  He really looked a lot like Macario to me.  Most everyone agreed.

They finally let Macario back to recovery and he was so happy to see me.  He was a little freaked out by the baby and seeing him nurse.  When Adrian did cry, Mac wanted him to go away, but after he got to snuggle me for a bit, he warmed up to his brother.

It wasn't long before they took us to our room.  Once there, we all got settled in for the night.  It was so wonderful to have both Aaron and Mac with me.  Aaron's mom stayed with us the first night too.


The next day we buckled down to try and choose a name.  Everyone kept asking if we had a name including the nurses.  They were surprised that we hadn't yet chosen one.

The vital records lady came by with the documents we needed to fill out in order to do the birth certificate.  She came back a couple of times and each time we still hadn't filled out the form.

Then we came up with a name.  Diego Angel.  I liked the name as did Aaron.  It was the first time we had agreed to a name, so we decided to go with it.  I had the forms to fill out while Aaron and his mom took Mac to get some air and have breakfast.  I didn't get around to completing the form, though, because the baby needed to nurse and then I took a nap while everyone was gone.

When they came back, Aaron said he had the perfect name.  I said, "I thought we decided on Diego?"

Then he said, "No, I like this one way better and hopefully you will too cause we never discussed one of the names."

He announced, "AdrianSantos" all one name.  My jaw dropped.  I LOVED it only I preferred to break up the name to Adrian Santos, first and middle name.

We kind of went back and forth for a moment and then settled on two separate names.  Adrian Santos.  It was the perfect name for our little baby boy.

Later that day they moved us to a different wing because we were the only ones left on our wing.

I was finally able to eat at that point and I was devouring my food.  I had eaten a bit too soon and threw it up, but I didn't tell the nurses that.  Ha!

Our dads came to visit Adrian that day, but they each only stayed for a short while. My sister and cousin came to visit that night, but left soon after coming too.

Aaron and I were alone with the boys the second night.  We made sure to try and stick to our nightly routine as closely as possible.  Even giving Mac a bath (this time it was a shower which he wasn't thrilled about) before bed.

We were discharged the next day.  I was feeling well enough to pack up our stuff and shower so while Aaron and Mac were out that morning, I got everything together, took a shower, and got Adrian dressed in his going home outfit.


When Macario and Aaron got to the hospital to pick us up, Mac came charging in the room and asked "Where's my brother?"  He had already fallen in love with him as much as we had.

The experience was amazing.  My favorite part was being able to have Mac with us the entire time.  I really believe that having him there for the experience helped encourage the bond between he and his brother happen quickly and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment