Dear Son:
Here we go again, another month older. Today you are 7 months old! How did that even happen? It feels as if I just finished writing your 6 month update.
For some reason this month had us even more excited. I'm not sure if it's that the holidays are approaching or what else, but Daddy and I got really excited to wish you a happy 7 months, today (I also cried a little bit because you're quickly becoming my big boy instead of my baby boy). Sometimes it feels like you're growing too fast and I just wish I could do something to reel you in a little.
This month has been a big month for you as you're learning new things by the minute! For one you're a pro at feeding yourself your little finger foods now. You used to miss your mouth a lot and also couldn't get things in your mouth if they got hidden in your clenched fists, that was when I would step in to help, but you've figured it all out now and don't need much help anymore. *sad face*
There are some things that you picked up almost instantly, like rolling a ball. You and I sat together one day and I thought I'd start showing you how to roll the ball back and forth between us. I anticipated that it would take a few attempts to get you to understand, but I was wrong. You picked it up right away.
"Patty Cake" is another "instant" one. Although I have been playing "Patty Cake" with you since you were a little baby, you had never attempted to try to play with me. Then, out of nowhere you started to pat your own hands! On your 7-month Birthday, no less! Way to rub your big-boyishness in my face, son!
I'm now on a mission to catch a video of you playing "Patty Cake" because it's the cutest thing. You keep your left hand palm-side down and pat it with your right. Also, you start to pat your hands all on your own and if I don't notice you doing it, you'll grunt to get me to sing the song! It's really cute.
You can say, Dada, Mama and BaBa. One weekend you said only "Dada" the next only "Mama" now it's a combination of the words three whenever you please. *smile*
Daddy is still your most favorite person, but I don't get my feelings hurt (usually) because I love to see how close you two are. Besides, you still usually prefer me when you need comfort, so that helps to ease any hurt feelings.
You aren't technically "crawling" because you don't lift your belly off the ground, but you can drag yourself all over the living room and I'm already having to watch you to make sure you aren't getting into anything you shouldn't be. The other day, you chased your pumpkin bucket all over the kitchen floor and all the way under the dining table! I had to snatch you up before you bumped your head!
I suspect that you'll want to walk before you ever get the hang of true "crawling" because you like to walk around (with help) and also want to pull yourself up on everything. I saw you do it in your crib for the first time yesterday and I was in shock! Daddy and I will be lowering your crib ASAP!
We've been working on your signs for a while, but I'm trying to be more consistent with it. I think you were signing "more" to me this morning as it was breakfast time and I always show you the "more" sign before giving you another bite. Maybe you're confusing the "more" sign for the "eat" sign. It could have also been that you were playing "Patty Cake" so I can't be too sure, but you're definitely picking up on those hand gestures which is very exciting!
You're having a bit of a sleep issue at the current moment. Naps have always been hard on you and especially lately. I think it could be from teething (you still have no teeth) as it seems to be hard for your to get comfortable. I also think it might have to do with you being so curious. You always want to see what's going on which is cute most of the time, but frustrating when we're trying to get you to go down for a nap.
Also, you've regressed to night wakings. That is hard because I have been lucky to get good sleep at night up until now. Unfortunately, thanks to the night wakings, I'm not getting such good sleep anymore. Your doctor says you are old enough to be able to last the whole night without a feeding, so he suggested I let you cry yourself back to sleep rather than go in to aid you back to sleep. I don't always do as he says just because he says so. I take his advice for what it is--advice. However, in this instance, he's right. You haven't really needed a middle-of-the-night feeding since you were probably 3 or 4 months old, and I noticed that the first few nights you woke up this way you only took an ounce or two, so I'm following your doctor's advice this time and withholding the feedings at night.
You're still experimenting with your sippy cup, but don't quite have the hang of it yet. I've read that it can take at least a month to get used to it and it hasn't been a full month yet, so we'll just keep practicing.
The most enjoyable thing about you at this age is your affection. You are so sweet with people you recognize and so comfortable with everyone, especially me and Daddy. You just love to hold on tight and get really close. You even lean into me and Daddy when we ask for kisses which melts our hearts.
You always light up whenever you see me and Daddy, but nothing is brighter than the light you've brought into our lives since your birth. We love you so much, and cherish every moment we are given with you!
Happy seven months, son!





No comments:
Post a Comment