Thursday, February 28, 2013

Monthly Goal Review: March

Continuing with my New Year’s resolution (is everyone keeping up with theirs?), this update is a review of how I am coming along on my monthly goal setting.


For February I had the following goals set:

1. Complete January Goals

2. Get registry completed and shower invites sent out.

3. Fix bassinet or purchase a new one and set it up in bedroom.

Here is the progress I have made:

1. Complete January Goals. Of the remaining January Goals Mac’s baby book is still a work in progress. This will always be the case, I suppose. I did get a donation box filled and it was picked up by a local charity! I did pull a lot of the stuff I wanted from storage and have gotten both closets organized (at least a preliminary and satisfactory organization of them). The closes will also be a work in progress for a while until we either move or get completely settled in with all of the boys stuff. I had already set up Montessori activities for Mac, but Aaron and I continue to think of Montessori inspired activities for him. The next activity we have planned is to get sized blocks for stacking biggest to smallest and vice versa. This is a good activity for his age range. I also subscribed to a YouTube channel that does videos on different Montessori activities for language, math, and practical life. I love keeping up with this part of my January Goals.

In all I can say that I am quite satisfied with my accomplishment of February Goal #1!

2. Get registry completed and shower invites sent out. This one is done! My family shower/birthday party is set for March 10th and everyone has been invited (we’re keeping it small so this was easy) and my registry is complete. I do think of things to add to it now and again so I have been modifying it here and there, but it’s basically complete and I’m happy with it as it is now.



Goal #2, done!



3. Fix bassinet or purchase a new one and set it up in bedroom. Among the things I was pulling from storage was our old bassinet. Unfortunately, I was not comfortable moving it myself and in all honesty I’m not really comfortable using a “repaired” bassinet for the baby, so I left it in storage and decided we should get a new one. My mom was kind enough to buy us a new one and it is now set up in the bedroom.

Goal #3, done!

All this month I have felt so behind and so unaccomplished, but when I look at this list I realize I managed to complete all the tasks I thought were most important. I also managed to get some other major things done that weren’t even on the list which makes me feel very proud and excited about moving on with my March Goals.

They are:

Make emergency contact card for work. I did this with Macario, and basically all I did was jot down all my important phone numbers and information regarding the hospital and L&D phone number in case anything spontaneous were to happen while I was at work.

Prepare information sheet for hospital admission. At our hospital, the dad (or other partner) is taken to admissions to fill out the paperwork while laboring mom is taken into triage. I had a sheet of information written up for Aaron to use so he wouldn’t be pressured to remember a lot of the statistical information necessary for completing the admissions paperwork while he was under the gun! I don’t know if he found this helpful or necessary, but it makes me feel better knowing he will have the information if needed.

Finish (err—start) packing hospital bag. I have the bag, and a portfolio for paperwork in it, but nothing more than that in there so although I say, “finish” I really haven’t gotten off to much of a start!

Prepare some freezer meals for first weeks of post-partum life. I did not do this when I was pregnant with Macario and that was ok because Aaron could fend for himself and I did fine just nibbling here and there. This time around we have Macario and although I will have plenty of helpers around me, there are sure to be times when I’m by myself and will need to be prepared. I also want to make sure he’s eating things that I’m ok with him eating and so even if someone else is helping me out with him, I want to have the same amount of influence over his diet that I have always had, so I’ll need to have these meals set out in advance.

Schedule Macario’s 2 year photo shoot. Aaron and I decided that we will do an annual photo shoot of our boys around this time each year. Since both of their birthdays are going to be around April (it’s possible that baby boy could be born in late March since I’m due April 1st) it makes good logistical sense to take the photos at this time each year (especially because it avoids the Christmas crowds). I will probably join Mac in this year’s shoot to document the pregnancy and what our life is at this moment in time. I also need to buy Mac’s birthday shirt for this and come up with a dress suit for him and something coordinating for me. I’m really excited about this particular goal.

Choose an Easter basket for Macario. Last year I seriously could not decide what to do as far as Mac’s Easter basket. Buy a pre-filled basket, make my own each year or buy a permanent monogrammed basket (a la Pottery Barn). I don’t like the prefilled baskets as they’re usually filled with a bunch of cheap toys and junky candy, yet cost an arm and a leg. I think it would be cool to customize one each year, but that can get costly and seems wasteful to buy a new basket every year. The most appealing to me was to buy a forever basket for him to use every year, but I didn’t care for the styles available at Pottery Barn and I also didn’t see myself packing it away every year and unpacking it the next since I don’t have any other Easter décor that I store away.

I think the easiest will be to find a nice “forever” basket for him to use as it would be the most cost effective and least wasteful in the end and I’ll just have to be organized about pulling it out each year.

At this point I could add more and more items to the list, but just like this month I am sure that I will accomplish other tasks along the way so I’ll keep this list to the absolutely most necessary tasks to be completed.

Since I’m due April 1st my April Goal Review may be late, but I’ll try to keep myself on top of it as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment