Macario started running a fever Thursday night and by Friday it had topped out at 104! I stayed with him on Friday and by Saturday his fever had broken.
I thought at first he might have a bad cold or the flu, but I realized the congestion (slight congestion) was probably related to the last two canine teeth coming in and not actually illness related. The only other thing I could think was causing his fever was the bad diaper rash he had, since it had been ongoing for about a week by then.
On Friday, I had a phone consult with the nurse at our medical office and was told that the rash could be causing the fever and given care instructions (beyond what I was already doing). I followed the nurse’s directions carefully all weekend. By Saturday things were already much improved and again, the fever was gone.
Saturday
In the morning, Mac and I did the usual stuff after Aaron left for his track meet. We hung out, ate breakfast, played, read and watched an episode of Little Einsteins. He also helped me empty out DVDs from the console in our room so that I could move it and clear the space for the baby’s bassinet.
Somewhere along the way he lost steam, so I took a break and put him down for a nap. I finished straightening up the bedroom while he slept.
I had also been doing laundry all day and Mac would play on the trampoline (in the garage) while I switched over loads and/or folded clothes.
When he got up from his nap, we ate a snack and then played some more. He pooped his diaper, which required a hose down with the shower head since part of the care instructions for his rash were “no wiping.” After I sprayed him off I cleaned the tub and then let him bathe while I got ready.
I needed to go to Target to get some closet organizers and some other miscellaneous items. Fortunately, by this point Mac was hitting a good patch with his mood and was sunny and cute! Unfortunately, I ran into my boss at Target just as Mac was hitting this high note in the day.
Mac was all smiles and love—not sickly at all! Of course I don’t want him to be sick, but I looked like a total liar for calling into work the day before due to his not feeling well. She didn’t seem to doubt me for a second, but boy did I feel like a jerk! Wouldn’t you guess that for the rest of the day he went back to being a challenge (with a few happy moments here and there). At no point was he ever as cheerful as he was at that moment in Target!
We also made a pit stop by the consignment shop where I again went looking to buy stuff for the new baby, but instead came out with things for Mac.
He got a slide and a new puzzle! Fortunately, the new baby will get use out of them when he’s older too.
Mac was so excited to see Aaron when he got home. He missed him so much that he was hysterical when I put him to bed and then woke up several times throughout the night crying for Daddy.
Sunday
I was much too sleep deprived to get to church on Sunday morning. Mac was also extremely tired. He is usually up around 7 a.m., but we both slept until 9 a.m. (his last waking was at 6:30 a.m.)
He would have been a mess in church, so I didn’t feel bad about not going, but I will hopefully not miss next week.
We had plans to make menudo with Aaron’s family, so after we got through the morning ritual stuff with Mac, we both got ready and headed out the door to pick up the ingredients for menudo.
Mac got to have pan dulce (sweet bread) with sprinkles on it. He was thrilled! He even said “cheese!” several times as I tried to catch a picture of his messy face.
He took a nap while we waited on the food, but it was cut short by the volume level in the house and so he was cranky for the rest of the visit. He hadn’t had enough sleep and I sympathized greatly because I was also exhausted from our long night.
Aaron had some work to get done and we also needed to stop at the grocery store, so we left around 3:30 p.m. Mac had fun pushing the kid sized cart around the store and surprised me when he didn’t flip out over having to put the cart away. He’s a good boy, but had been so tired and cranky that I was sure we were facing a meltdown.
He got a little worked up again when we got home, but by dinner time he was in a happy mood again. He and I joined my dad and siblings for dinner out while Aaron stayed back and worked on his stuff. I made him lasagna before I left so he would have something for dinner.
Dinner was nice, but I was definitely ready to come home when we were done. I was running on very little sleep and had planned to lay low for the evening before my dad invited us out. Mac was ready too as he started to get cranky just before bath time.
When all was said and done, I was happy with how much I accomplished over the weekend and was proud of myself for getting Mac’s rash under control so quickly! The poor guy was in so much pain he was shaking at each diaper change.


I hope Mac is feeling better and you both have been able to get some rest!
ReplyDelete