Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Gift for My Sons

I started this blog with the intentions of chronicling my life as a new mom and preserving the memories we make together.

 

Thus far, the blog has served its purpose.  I have gone back and read posts and been reminded of little things I had otherwise forgotten.  It has also come in handy with Adrian as I look back and remember what Macario was doing at the same age and think about what to expect next!

 

Still, the most important purpose is to have something I can give to my children.  Something to help them re-live the experiences and reminisce on the experiences that they hold fondly.

 

Today, as my co-worker told a story, I was reminded of why started this blog and I am happier than ever that I did.

 

This co-worker of mine recently lost her father and her mother is now planning to move into an assisted living community.  She and her siblings are tasked with purging her parents’ belongings so the house can be sold and her mother can move.  The house has been in the family for over 60 years and her parents’ held onto just about every shred of anything they ever owned.  Amongst the stuff were writings her father did for school, for work and pleasure.  One such writing was his recounting of a two week hiking trip he took the family on.  My co-worker was 14 when they took this trip and she remembered she hated it then.  She thought for sure she had acted miserably and sulked the entire time, but her father told a different story.  He described his wife and each of the four children, the things they saw, the things they did and the ways he felt.  He specifically said that his girls were “troopers” and my co-worker found that particularly touching considering she had always thought she acted miserably.

 

Because he documented the journey and his feelings about it, she gets to know what he was thinking and how he felt about the trip, but especially about her.  She gets to re-live the experience through his eyes (and much fresher recollection).  Mostly though, she gets to feel like she is with her father again, back in that time, experiencing those moments and know that he treasured that time with his family.

 

Even if I’m still around by the time my sons take interest in reading my blog, I hope that they will be equally as touched by the memories I’ve captured and the feelings I’ve expressed in my writing.

 

I hope they will feel how much I love them through my words and know how much I treasure them.

 

Now more than ever, I am motivated to keep documenting and writing to my children.  I am doing this as my gift to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment