Friday, July 19, 2013

Macario is 27 Months Old

Oh son.  I'm so proud and sad at the same time...

Now that you're little brother is in our lives, it's hard not to notice the developmental contrast between the two of you.  Not to mention how big you are in comparison.  It was easy to pretend you were still a little baby before he was here.  These days its pretty darn obvious what a big boy you are.

Even if not for him, it would be hard not to notice how grown up you are.  You are reminding me every moment of the day that you're not a baby anymore.

At 27 months you are:

Stats

Weight/Height – You haven't been weighed since last month's update, but my guess would be that you're still around 29 lbs.  You may be up to 30 or hovering somewhere around there. I haven't noticed a huge growth spurt or weight increase so I would guess your weight is steady.
Sizing – I guess I might have been fibbing a little about your growth because when I think of how clothes are fitting you I guess I have noticed a little bit of growth.  You are filling in the 24 month stuff much more so than before.  They're not too small yet, but I can see we're starting to push it.  You've been in shorts so much lately, that I'm not exactly sure how your pants fit, but everything seems to fit slightly better (they were all a little big before) than they used to.  So, I guess there has been some noticeable growth going on!

You wear size 8 shoes and my guess would be size 5 diapers.  We have not purchased a single pack of disposable diapers in almost a month.  Partly because you're almost completely potty trained and partly because Daddy finally started feeling confident enough to cloth diaper you outside of the house.

Physical Development
Progress is pretty steady on Potty Training.  We aren't doing any of those "3-day Potty Training" techniques.  I would say that you are basically potty trained except for a few hiccups. Firstly, you will not go poo in the potty.  You pee in the potty several (SEVERAL) times a day, but whenever you have poop you withhold it until you are in a diaper (or underwear) and then release in that.  I don't know why that is.  I suppose I could ask Dr. C, but my guess is it's completely normal and probably your exercise of control in the situation, so we're going with it.  Eventually you'll stop doing that and your poops are pretty predictable, so if we time things right we can usually avoid that mess outside of the house. Phew!

Second hiccup being that you will hold your pee until we put you on the potty (which is great), but you don't let us know when you have to go, so sometimes you can be holding it for a long time and we won't even know!  I feel bad and worry you'll get a UTI if you hold it for too long.

You resist going to the potty when you don't have to go.  At first I thought you were being stubborn and not wanting to sit, but I soon realized that if you don't feel the urge you won't cooperate.  This is true because on the occasions when you do have to pee you're eager to go sit on the potty.  Recognizing this has helped keep the peace where potty training is involved.

We carry a travel potty in the car to ensure that you get to go even when we're out and about.  It would probably be very confusing to you if we didn't.

You are still very eager to do things for yourself.  You don’t like anyone to do anything for you. Your favorite line is, "Me do it!"

Part of your daily routine is to go out and play.  Most days you and your friends ride bikes.  You have a tricycle and a push bike.  You usually choose the push bike (4 wheels, no pedals).  I'm considering putting that one away so that you will have to use the tricycle because I want you to practice pedaling and that is something you are currently resisting.  It's not an urgent skill you need to learn, but it would be nice to nudge you in that direction by removing the easier option.


Intellectual Development

This month we began "Preschool at Home" I make a lesson plan and Daddy does the work with you.  You ask for preschool all the time.  It makes me happy to think that you enjoy learning.
You can count to ten and you recognize most of the letters of the alphabet. However, you won't sing the alphabet song and you get really upset when I do.  I used to sing it as a lullaby to you when you were very young and I think you might still associate it with going to sleep because you REALLY don't like that song. Ha! Way to ruin that one...
I can tell the little gears are always spinning in that head of yours.  One morning, Daddy let you watch an episode of little.  Several hours later, while we were out in the car, you said to me, "Mama, I have idea!"  I asked "What's your idea, son?" to which you replied, "I'm gonna spank da wolf!" I thought it was hilariously random, but later I realized the episode of Little Einsteins you watched earlier in the day had told the story of the three little pigs and the wolf in the story is not very nice.  You must have been contemplating this for hours, like, "What am I going to do about this mean old wolf?! Oh I know! I'll spank him!!"
In the car, you will notice if Daddy or I aren't wearing a seat belt.  Typically this is because we are just pulling out and haven't put it on yet (but we always do put it on).  I think this is sweet because as a kid I always scolded my dad who never wore his seatbelt unless I was in the car to insist!  I would say, "Daddy, put your seat belt on." and he would.  The first time I heard you say, "Mama, put da seatbelt on!" I was immediately transported.  It's so sweet.
Likes
You're very much into Mr. Roger's Neighborhood lately.  Daddy started you on the show and now you ask for it often.  When Mr. Rogers closes the show, you say, "Bye, Mr. Rogers."  As if he's right there with you.  It's very sweet.

I'm happy that you watch the show because one of Mr. Roger's constant messages is that everyone has value and everyone is special.

Before I had kids, I had hoped I would raise my children to be compassionate and caring.  To value other people and be kind to all.  Mr. Roger's depicts the qualities I hope to impart on you, so it makes me happy to know you enjoy the show. 

Dislikes
You still do not like us to assist you in things lately.

Firsts
You went on your first pony ride this month.  I have wanted you to do this since you were very little.  It's something I did as a kid and thought you would like it.  I have to admit that I thought it was a good idea in theory, but I was worried that you would freak out as soon as we got close enough to the horse.  BUT YOU DIDN'T!!! You got up on that horse, you didn't need me to keep a hand on you and you held on nicely.  It was such a cute moment.

Fun Stories

We have purchased a violin for you and when we went to check it out, you got really upset having to leave it behind.  Ever since, you often break into sobs and start crying for your "Vi-win" It's pretty cute how much you love instruments and how excited you are for your first real instrument.
I think you have a good ear for music, but we'll soon find out when we start lessons.
Another funny story is that you love to make me sing, "Happy Birthday" to everyone you know.  You'll call out, Carlos, Rocky, Joe Joe, Nino, 'Ito, Chewito, Dog, Cat, Car...and I sing the song to everyone/everything.
Also, one day I had put you down for a nap.  Of course this was not fun for you so you started to cry (as usual).  When I left the room you started to cry for Daddy.  The next thing I hear is you saying, "Daddy, come get me. I'm crying!"  It was so sad and so cute at the same time.  I got a little chuckle out of it.  When I told Daddy what you were saying he told me to comfort you and/or bring you out to him at Starbucks.  You sure have your daddy tied around your little finger.
In some ways you have me wrapped too.  Don't get me wrong, your cute little tricks super adorable and I give you props for effort, but I don't cave as easily as Daddy does.

Despite the hard line I do take with you sometimes, I really love you so much and wish I could grant your every desire.  You have no idea how hard it is to keep my composure when you're not behaving in an acceptable manner or you ask for something you really shouldn't have because I just look at your little face and that sweet button nose and those big beautiful eyes and I just want to give in. You really are my sweet angel boy and I sincerely hope that everything we do now will give you the foundation to be the best, most loving person you can be.
 
Happy 27 months, son!

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment