Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stay at home mom (wannabe)

When you're a stay at home mom, you really never have a day off and while I'm on maternity leave I'm basically living the life of a stay at home mom. I've been off work for almost three weeks now and I have never worked harder!

I'm truly enjoying the time at home with my boys, but its truly a challenge not to lounge around the house all day.

I make a conscious effort to shower daily, get the kids dressed, have some focused play/learning with Mac and bonding time with Adrian. Not to mention chores!

When I'm working I have forced structure to my days because I have limited time to do things. Right now, the day is at my disposal and I can either waste it or utilize it to the fullest.

I choose to utilize it, but that requires a routine and thus far I've only managed a loose pattern which I'm easily side-tracked from if I'm not careful.

Today was especially hard for me because I am not feeling well. I've become anemic after Adrian's birth so I'm tired and cold most of the time, and today I had a pounding headache on top of that.

Mac was up at his usual time this morning, but had an early nap so I was on my toes for what felt like the entire day!

By 2:30 I was spent and wasn't sure how I was going to fill the rest of the day with engaging activities for Mac.

We lounged around on the couch for a little bit, and then I had him help me with chores. It's not the most exciting thing to do, but he didn't mind.

With my second wind I got some chores done quickly then got Mac fed, bathed and in bed by 8 pm.

Now it's Adrian's turn for a bath and, since Aaron has a meeting this evening and won't be home until after 9 I'll finish up some housework before he gets here.

Today, has given me a lot more appreciation for the job of stay at home moms. As a working mom, I have to say its easier to be a working mom. Yes, I'll miss my boys when I'm working again, but going to work is also a bit of a reprieve and the imposed structure of a work schedule really helps keep me on top of my tasks so that I can get them done in the limited time I have off of work.

I still think I would prefer to stay home if it were an option, but spending this time at home also helps me appreciate my situation too!

Here are some pictures if our day. Top one is Mac making oatmeal cookies. This was a fun learning activity as he could count scoops as he poured them into the bowl.

The second picture is Adrian hanging out in his tub while I bathe Mac. I felt pretty resourceful for that move! Ha ha.





1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are doing great! Don't puttoo much pressure on yourself. Enjoy your time with your boys!

    ReplyDelete