This weekend, Aaron and I celebrated our 5th
wedding anniversary. The 5 year mark
seems like such a milestone. I suppose
that’s because it means you’re half way to 10 which is amazing! I wonder if I’ll be that impressed by 5 (or 10) when
we make it to 50.
We had some items to tackle on the day of our anniversary,
so we didn’t do anything particularly special to celebrate the day. It was just
nice to do everything together.
One item we took care of was buying a new couch. We each had a different idea of what we
wanted, but Aaron was gentleman enough to let me have the couch I wanted and
didn’t moan about it!
He took me and the boys to the outlet malls (about half an
hour out of town) and also treated us to lunch.
The day turned out to be really nice despite Aaron not even realizing it
was our anniversary until half-way through.
That was funny, but also kind of nice because I know he wasn’t being
sweet or loving just because it was our anniversary. He was just being that way because he loves
us!
When we got home I got the boys settled and started cleaning
up. Aaron made plans with a friend of
his (before he realized that it was our anniversary) and so he went out for a
couple of hours. I didn’t mind because
we had spent the entire day together and as much as I would have loved to
continue that into the evening, I had some things to take care of, so I didn’t
fuss when he wanted to leave. I knew he
wouldn’t be long and we could hang out the rest of the night!
We messaged each other (via iMessenger because I haven’t
replaced my phone yet) and we joked about how lucky each of us was to be
married to the other. I said, “You’re a
lucky man because I’m such a cool wife that I didn’t even get mad at you for
taking your friend out to dinner on our anniversary.” To which he replied, “And
you’re a lucky woman because I spent the whole day giving you whatever you
wanted!”
We’re both very lucky, but for many more significant reasons
than that!
I love being married.
It was a dream to become a wife and mother someday. Now that I am at the stage of my life that I
was always looking forward to, I hope I can savor as much as possible from
it. I also hope that my sons are gaining
a lot from the example of marriage that Aaron and I are setting. I want them to feel a sense of security that
their parents are committed to each other.
I want them to trust in the love we have for each other and for
them. I want them to aspire to treat others kindly and to be respectful of others, but mostly I want them to
learn that challenging times are not to be run away from, but to be learned from.
Aaron and I have been “together” for 12 years total and of
those 12 years we have been married for 5. In any case, I know that the main reason that our relationship has lasted is commitment. During good and bad times, we are committed
to getting through all of it together.
The success of a marriage requires that you commit yourself to the
person you’ve chosen as your spouse. It’s
a choice to face life’s challenges as a team. Sometimes the challenge is an
outside force, but often times the challenge is found within the relationship. It’s
during those times that your promise to love and respect one another matters
most.
I hope that Aaron and I are demonstrating to our sons that life is full of amazing moments and that they can and will enjoy some very fun and care free times if they leave their hearts and minds open to them, but mostly I hope that they are learning to ebrace life for all that it is and not just the "good" times.
Don't get me wrong, I love when things are fun and care free and lovey-dovey and
picture perfect, but my best memories and most fulfilling
moments with Aaron come from times when we are faced with a challenge that we
manage to overcome. We always come out
stronger and more committed in the end and that is the best feeling of all!
The success of a
marriage is not measured by how well you celebrate the good times, but how you
support each other through the challenges.
– Quote
No comments:
Post a Comment