Dear Son,
Today you are 26 Months old or 2 years and 2 months
old. As always, I’m stunned at how
quickly the time is going. There was a
time in my life when it seemed I’d never be here in this moment and now that I
am I can’t get things to slow down again.
At 26 months old you are:
Stats
Weight/Height – 29.2 pounds, but I don’t know your height.
Sizing – You currently wear size 24 month or 2T clothing. Pants are hard because you’re pretty small in
the waist, but you’re long in the legs, so 24 month pants are actually big on
your waist. Fortunately, there is this
new(ish) concept called “adjustable waist” so I’m able to fit you lengthwise
and waist-wise!
You wear size 8 shoes and size 5 diapers. However, we mostly use cloth diapers now and you’re
almost out of diapers entirely. That’s
right – you’re almost potty trained!
Physical Development
We began “potty training” quite a ways back, and you handled
it just fine. Then somewhere along the
line you started to reject the potty.
Dr. C always told us that we should follow your cues and not force the
issue if you didn’t seem ready, so we backed off. We did try to coax you now and then, but it
wasn’t until last week (or so) that you started sitting on the potty
willingly. From there, something has
just clicked. We still ask you if you
need to go quite often, but there have been several instances where you’ve asked
to go and even taken yourself! I think that all we need now is lots of practice
and you’ll be fully potty trained in no time.
This of course does not include nighttime which will come as you get a
little older and more aware of your body’s signals.
Also, you don’t like anyone to do anything for you. If we go into a room, you want to be the one
to turn on the light. If I’m sitting you
down to eat, you want to strap the belt on your high chair. There are so many examples of this that I
could go on and on, but it’s all basically the same. You do not want help doing things anymore.
Intellectual
Development
In the intellectual department, you are definitely learning
to be assertive and use your words rather than actions to get your point
across. At this point, you are choosing
less polite words that we’d like. For
instance, when you want to do something for yourself you yell, “Stop! Me do it!” Daddy and I have to remind you to ask more politely
for us to let you do it. We are always happy to let you do things (when appropriate)
for yourself.
Something I’ve been impressed by lately is your ability to
recall information. For example, the
other day we had a conversation (yes you and I now have actual conversations)
and during the conversation you were pulling from your memory. I could see your eyes staring up and to the
side as you searched your brain for the information you were trying to recall.
It’s amazing to see these things happening before me.
You now know all of our names. You can name me as Maria and Mama, your daddy
as Aaron and Daddy and your brother as Adrian or Brother. You also say your own name as Mac or Macario. You’re still working on proper pronunciation,
but your point is clear!
Likes
Currently you are really liking Jamba Juice (you always ask
us to take you to Abby Juice),
reading to yourself, your mini train set from Ikea, riding bikes with your
friends.
Dislikes
You do not like us to assist you in things lately.
Firsts
This is going to sound crazy, but you went to the zoo for
the first time this month! I had/have
this paranoid fear that an animal could escape in the zoo and cause you
harm. I feel like it’s a legitimate
concern, but everyone else thinks I’m too paranoid. I finally agreed to let you go to the zoo
because I knew you would love seeing the animals and I know that I can’t keep
you safe from everything and it’s not right to limit your experiences in life
out of fear. It has nothing to do with
anything anyone said. I hope you never
allow yourself to be pressured into doing anything you don’t want to or are not
comfortable doing. I backed down on this
because in the end I think it’s better to let you have the experience than to
shelter you.
Fun Stories
I started doing a series of blog entries where I share funny
things you say. I will probably keep
that up as long as you’re still saying such comical things. I think you’ll really enjoy those stories
when you’re older.
Also, you've started reminding us to strap your seat belt or put ours on in the car. I always put you in the car first and then strap your brother in while you play in the car. Then I come around and strap you in.
One day I hadn't gotten over to strap you in yet and you started saying, "Mama, strap me in!"
Another time I didn't have my seat belt on yet, so you kept calling out to me saying, "Mama, seat belt!"
I used to do the same thing to my dad because he never put on his seat belt. I think it's so cute that you're doing it now too!
This sort of sums up your latest and greatest
achievements. As always, I’m so proud of
who you are and how you are changing. I
recently heard someone say that it’s a parent’s job to raise people that they not
only love, but who they like. I’m proud
to say that I love you very much, but also I really like the person you are!
Happy 26 months, son!
Love,
Mommy




No comments:
Post a Comment